Letter: ‘Less than half of north Norfolk voted to leave’
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Your correspondent, Richard Shepherd, writes 'we in North Norfolk are a canny lot who overwhelmingly voted out of Europe' (North Norfolk News 2 February).
This is simply untrue. 37,576 votes were cast for 'leave' in North Norfolk on June 23, 2016 in a constituency with an electorate of 83,057.
Leave voters, at 45pc, were therefore a minority of the electorate, even discounting the fact that 16 and 17-year-olds were ineligible to vote and newer, younger, voters have come on to the register over the last two years.
It is precisely those younger electors who will suffer as job opportunities disappear if the country isolates itself from its most important trading partners.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Concern over state of beach following £22m sandscaping project
- 2 Happy birthday, Arthur! 100 up for Second World War naval hero
- 3 Hospital to close with loss of 120 jobs
- 4 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?
- 5 Hotel's bid for nine holiday lodges 'to compete with Airbnb'
- 6 Rescue drama as kayaker spotted 'clinging to a buoy'
- 7 Listed townhouse with 'most stunning' features is for sale for £595,000
- 8 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 9 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 10 Taxi driver beaten up in case of mistaken identity
-What do you think? To share your view on this issue and others, write to firstname.lastname@example.org