Letter: ‘Less than half of north Norfolk voted to leave’
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Your correspondent, Richard Shepherd, writes 'we in North Norfolk are a canny lot who overwhelmingly voted out of Europe' (North Norfolk News 2 February).
This is simply untrue. 37,576 votes were cast for 'leave' in North Norfolk on June 23, 2016 in a constituency with an electorate of 83,057.
Leave voters, at 45pc, were therefore a minority of the electorate, even discounting the fact that 16 and 17-year-olds were ineligible to vote and newer, younger, voters have come on to the register over the last two years.
It is precisely those younger electors who will suffer as job opportunities disappear if the country isolates itself from its most important trading partners.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 2 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 3 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 4 Your say - What is your favourite restaurant in north Norfolk?
- 5 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 6 Appeal to find missing man from London last seen at Norfolk campsite
- 7 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 8 Classic Ibiza setlist for Blickling Estate revealed
- 9 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 10 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
-What do you think? To share your view on this issue and others, write to email@example.com