Letter: ‘Are plans for 2,000 more homes right for our town?’
- Credit: Archant
North Walsham is facing the biggest challenge for decades.
District council are proposing development of around 2,000 new homes on the west of the town.
Developers are 'prospecting for gold' at the expense of local residents.
At a public meeting, many residents raised concerns about building on greenfield sites, the poor state of the current drainage, sewers, lack of social housing, poor road systems and dwindling NHS provision.
These are very valid concerns and this proposal could further risk the lack of inward investment in North Walsham's infrastructure.
You may also want to watch:
We need strong, visible councillors who will defend residents' views. We need councillors who are not afraid to challenge these proposals.
The meeting was a good start point and great to see so many people there.
- 1 'Dystopian castle' in seaside village may escape demolition
- 2 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 3 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 4 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?
- 5 Rescue drama as yacht cut adrift after losing power
- 6 'Fishermen should grow up' - Report sparks clash over crab fishery
- 7 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 8 Mobile Post Office to come to two north Norfolk villages
- 9 Teenagers brighten bus shelter with village mural
- 10 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
In the coming weeks and months, I look forward to engaging with local residents, especially on the West of North Walsham where the biggest impact will be felt.
We successfully fought against the Greens Road development because it wasn't right. It was this Greens Road development which convinced me to stand as a town councillor.
Our children's centre will remain open because we spoke out.
We have the power to make sure that this is right for North Walsham, right for us.
Let's make sure that district council and any elected councillors represent your views, our views, about what we want, not how much profit the prospectors and landowners want.
I will object to any plans which do not bring benefit to the residents in the west, and for North Walsham.
Who's with me?
-What do you think? To share your own views on this issue and others, email firstname.lastname@example.org