Last call for Cromer pier show talent
Richard BatsonToday is the deadline for aspiring acts to show they have the 'pier factor' and enter the competition to mix some local talent into Cromer's summer show next year.Richard Batson
Today is the deadline for aspiring acts to show they have the "pier factor" and enter the competition to mix some local talent into Cromer's summer show next year.
But, because of the postal strike, organisers have extended the
cut-off to Monday, when last-minute contenders can deliver their
entries in person to the pier box office.
You may also want to watch:
Find a Star, backed by the EDP and BBC Radio Norfolk, will come to a climax next weekend, when the finalists step into the spotlight of a special show, under the gaze of the judges.
Fourteen acts including singers, musicians, an illusionist, comedy magician and beat boxer have come forward hoping their performances will wow the panel and earn them a place in next summer's Seaside Special.
- 1 Nature lovers' dream? Two wildlife paradises for sale
- 2 Dancers' dilemma: Pier show cast priced out by Airbnb
- 3 Fond farewell for lifelong Cromer crab fisherman
- 4 'A nightmare' - Roadworks cause traffic chaos in North Walsham
- 5 Demolition of seaside hotel begins
- 6 'Truly sorry' - Former rival pays damages to Norfolk MP
- 7 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 8 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?
- 9 Cromer florist 'delighted' as new business flourishes
- 10 See inside the boutique hotel with spa centre reserved for guests
Next Saturday afternoon, behind closed doors, judges will whittle them down to betweeen 8 and 10 acts for the final which will be held in front of an audience that evening.
Spokesman for pier operators Openwide International Bruce Stratton said they were excited
by the number and variety of
acts that had entered.
"One singer said she had been practising all day ahead of the finals," he added.
Among the contestants are some locally known entertainers such as Winston the Singing Farmer, and George "Guitar George" Britcher - but the opportunity was open to all-comers.
This year's winner, teenage magician Luke Cook will be performing and judging at the finals night which is being compered by Cromer singer Eddie Bushell who is appearing in the venue's Christmas special show.
Other judges will include the EDP's Sarah Hardy, Radio Norfolk's Stephen Bumfrey and pier show devisor Di Cooke.
Entrants should take details of their act, a biography, colour head and shoulders picture (and a DVD if available) marked Norfolk Find a Star to The Box Office, Cromer Pier. They must be aged 17 on or before April 1, 2010 and able to commit to a show season and rehearsal schedule running from June to September.
Tickets for the final are already on sale for �10 from the box office on 01263 512495.