Husband fears dust from new homes could kill his asthmatic wife
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
A man fears the dust, noise and disruption that would accompany the building of a new estate near his home could prove harmful, and even fatal, for his wife.
John Walland, 69, is dismayed at plans by Victory Housing Trust to build 16 new homes in a field opposite their home in School Lane, in the north Norfolk village of Knapton.
Mr Walland, whose wife Linda, 62, suffers from chronic asthma, said: 'It's really upsetting. The works that are planned are really going to affect her breathing. One of her specialists took me aside and said this could be fatal - well, I'm extremely worried.'
Mr Walland said the couple moved to the village 30 years ago after Mrs Walland suffered a collapsed lung. He said the air quality was one of the reasons why they wanted to live in a place like Knapton. As well as asthma, Mrs Walland has a number of other health complaints.
Mr Walland said: 'She has to take 24 tablets a day just to keep her alive.'
You may also want to watch:
He said they were unhappy with a Victory Housing offer to relocate them, adding: 'I have to have a wheelchair and I couldn't walk at all without crutches, so it's not really an option.'
North Norfolk District Council has received close to 100 objections to the homes since Victory Housing applied for permission for the scheme last year.
- 1 Holiday home owner calls for guidance over foreign workers
- 2 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 3 'Why reopening on June 21 is the right decision'
- 4 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 5 Sunday market draws thousands to town
- 6 Stately home concert in honour of late owner, Lord Walpole
- 7 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 8 'Heartbroken' - Shock after village play area ‘trashed’ by graffiti vandals
- 9 Black Prince returns for first journey of the year at North Norfolk railway
- 10 'Hovering ship' seen off north Norfolk coast
Many highlight the impact that number of new homes would have on the small settlement, and the fact the proposed site - known as Millennium Field - contains a number of trees planted in the memory of loved ones, as part of a project going back to 1999.
John Archibald, chief executive of Victory Housing, said if permission were given, proper procedure would be followed with regards to dust and other issues.
Mr Archibald said: 'We expect contractors on all our development sites to fully comply with all relevant health and safety legislation, and to act in a considerate manner towards people living near to our sites.
'Given the concerns raised by Mr and Mrs Walland, we have offered the support of our tenancy support team to discuss options, including arranging for alternative accommodation if necessary. Mr and Mrs Walland have not yet responded to our offer of support, but we will be happy to discuss their options when they do.'