Kelling nurse on Great Wall charity trip
An intrepid nurse is to hike along the Great Wall of China to raise money for charity.Lynda Hind, who will be 55 when the trek starts in October, will walk 80km in five days to raise money for the Parkinson's Disease Society.
AN intrepid nurse is to hike along the Great Wall of China to raise money for charity.
Lynda Hind, who will be 55 when the trek starts in October, will walk 80km in five days to raise money for the Parkinson's Disease Society.
The neurological specialist nurse, based at Kelling Hospital, Holt, works with people with MS, Parkinson's disease and motor neurone disease.
She said: "I didn't choose the trek - it chose me. It came through from the Parkinson's Disease Society and I just wanted to do it.
You may also want to watch:
"It turns out the bit of the wall we're doing is all steps. I've bought a little step machine and I'm doing classes but it's very difficult to do any sort of altitude training in Norfolk."
She is committed to raising �2,800 but hopes that figure will rise as fundraising goes on. She is holding a comedy and musical show on April 17 which will feature Keith Loads, the Sam Smith Singers and other local acts.
- 1 How a now quiet North Norfolk village was once a bustling European port
- 2 How a north Norfolk holiday hotspot was before tourists
- 3 'We just need a vaccine' - Cromer reacts to being placed in tier two
- 4 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 5 Special report: Future of Holt Hall hangs in balance ahead of recommendation to close it
- 6 'Little morsels of heaven' - Why Heydon Tea Rooms is a must-visit for cake lovers
- 7 Delay warnings ahead of abnormal load move
- 8 Street’s Christmas lights switched on early to “brighten things up”
- 9 Davies, Blogg, Sadler and Shipp - Local families inspire school’s new house system
- 10 People released from car after crash closes road
This is not the first time Mrs Hind has braved the elements to raise money for charity - in 2006 she spent 10 days trekking across the Peruvian Andes mountains, raising �6,650 for the Multiple Sclerosis Trust.
The Norfolk Night Variety Show is on April 17 at 7.30pm at Auden Theatre, Gresham School, Holt. Tickets cost �7.50 for adults and �5 for children under 12 and senior citizens.
To donate money phone Mrs Hind on 01263 714966, or to book tickets for the variety show phone the Auden Theatre on 01263 713444.