Kelling nurse on Great Wall charity trip
An intrepid nurse is to hike along the Great Wall of China to raise money for charity.Lynda Hind, who will be 55 when the trek starts in October, will walk 80km in five days to raise money for the Parkinson's Disease Society.
AN intrepid nurse is to hike along the Great Wall of China to raise money for charity.
Lynda Hind, who will be 55 when the trek starts in October, will walk 80km in five days to raise money for the Parkinson's Disease Society.
The neurological specialist nurse, based at Kelling Hospital, Holt, works with people with MS, Parkinson's disease and motor neurone disease.
She said: "I didn't choose the trek - it chose me. It came through from the Parkinson's Disease Society and I just wanted to do it.
You may also want to watch:
"It turns out the bit of the wall we're doing is all steps. I've bought a little step machine and I'm doing classes but it's very difficult to do any sort of altitude training in Norfolk."
She is committed to raising �2,800 but hopes that figure will rise as fundraising goes on. She is holding a comedy and musical show on April 17 which will feature Keith Loads, the Sam Smith Singers and other local acts.
- 1 Joy as town's beer and gin festival set to return
- 2 Cafe reveals exciting revamp as town gets ready to reopen
- 3 Canal restoration resumes as lockdown winds up
- 4 Wanted Norwich man arrested in north Norfolk village
- 5 Shock as public toilets torched FOUR times
- 6 From Bradley Walsh to a charity bed push - hospital's history told in new wall feature
- 7 WATCH: Demolition of landmark seaside hotel
- 8 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 9 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 10 'Why north Norfolk will bounce back'
This is not the first time Mrs Hind has braved the elements to raise money for charity - in 2006 she spent 10 days trekking across the Peruvian Andes mountains, raising �6,650 for the Multiple Sclerosis Trust.
The Norfolk Night Variety Show is on April 17 at 7.30pm at Auden Theatre, Gresham School, Holt. Tickets cost �7.50 for adults and �5 for children under 12 and senior citizens.
To donate money phone Mrs Hind on 01263 714966, or to book tickets for the variety show phone the Auden Theatre on 01263 713444.