Kelling nurse on Great Wall charity trip
An intrepid nurse is to hike along the Great Wall of China to raise money for charity.Lynda Hind, who will be 55 when the trek starts in October, will walk 80km in five days to raise money for the Parkinson's Disease Society.
AN intrepid nurse is to hike along the Great Wall of China to raise money for charity.
Lynda Hind, who will be 55 when the trek starts in October, will walk 80km in five days to raise money for the Parkinson's Disease Society.
The neurological specialist nurse, based at Kelling Hospital, Holt, works with people with MS, Parkinson's disease and motor neurone disease.
She said: "I didn't choose the trek - it chose me. It came through from the Parkinson's Disease Society and I just wanted to do it.
"It turns out the bit of the wall we're doing is all steps. I've bought a little step machine and I'm doing classes but it's very difficult to do any sort of altitude training in Norfolk."
She is committed to raising �2,800 but hopes that figure will rise as fundraising goes on. She is holding a comedy and musical show on April 17 which will feature Keith Loads, the Sam Smith Singers and other local acts.
- 1 First look inside: New deli and surf shop open on coast
- 2 'Beheading' comment sees councillor reported to police
- 3 Council urged to take over ownership of derelict Cromer nightclub
- 4 Norfolk singer's big hopes for her girl band's debut single
- 5 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 6 Man died on 50th birthday at Norfolk coastal campsite
- 7 'Everything has gone up' - How mum Melanie is dealing with cost of living
- 8 Two men arrested in connection with string of cooking oil thefts
- 9 The Female Fisherman 'overwhelmed' by national award win
- 10 Man swims for survival after speedboat sinks off Norfolk coast
This is not the first time Mrs Hind has braved the elements to raise money for charity - in 2006 she spent 10 days trekking across the Peruvian Andes mountains, raising �6,650 for the Multiple Sclerosis Trust.
The Norfolk Night Variety Show is on April 17 at 7.30pm at Auden Theatre, Gresham School, Holt. Tickets cost �7.50 for adults and �5 for children under 12 and senior citizens.
To donate money phone Mrs Hind on 01263 714966, or to book tickets for the variety show phone the Auden Theatre on 01263 713444.