Award-winning Ingham Swan reopens after devastating fire
Eighteen months on and at a cost of more than £1m, a Norfolk pub and restaurant is back in business, following a devastating fire.
The Ingham Swan, near Stalham, was completely gutted in the blaze, which was caused by an electrical fire in a fridge, in September 2017.
And only a hint of the fire damage, on a wall in the restaurant, can now be seen at the new-look business, which opened on Friday, March 15.
Owners, Daniel Smith, who is also chef patron, and Gregory Adjemian redesigned the interiors, while preserving the character and intimate surroundings.
Norfolk-born Mr Smith said the building had been restored to its former glory, with no expense spared.
He said: “We are glad to be open, and it’s great news the same team and the guys are here. We’ve had a couple of dummy runs to iron out any teething problems.
“It was nerve-wracking at the time of the fire, as I did not anyone who had gone through that. We did not know what kind of disasters were going to come out of that.
“But we had everything in place, including the insurance, to do what we needed to do.
“I don’t know the exact cost of the re-build but it will be in excess of £1m. The rebuilding was hard as it’s a grade 2 listed building, has a thatched roof, and is on a corner, so there were highways issues.
“We have kept the original features and this is a new and improved Ingham Swan. Anybody who used to come in and returns now, they will just think that we’ve had a really nice decorating job.
“Our online bookings system has gone through the roof since we announced we were re-opening.”
Mr Smith and Mr Adjemian took on the management of the Sea Palling Road pub in 2010 before purchasing the freehold in 2013.
They have two other eateries, the Warwick Street Social in Norwich and The Wildebeest Pub in Stoke Holy Cross.
The cottage next to the Swan, which was also gutted in the blaze, is still unoccupied, and no one was at the building yesterday.