Hundreds flock to Cromer pier and promenade for annual lifeboat day
- Credit: Archant
Live music, a fete and appearances by RNLI mascot Stormy Stan were among the attractions at a lifeboat day held on Cromer's pier and promenade on Sunday.
Organised by local lifeboat management team members, the annual event is supported by Cromer Ladies Lifeboat Guild, whose 100-plus members raise more than £15,000 a year for the RNLI.
As well as seeing both the town's inshore and offshore lifeboats being launched, lifeboat day visitors had a chance to chat to crew members and see the Wells-next-the-sea police patrol boat monitoring marine crime along the coast, which was brought along by beat manager PC Jason Pegden and his team.
Other attractions included stalls selling Norfolk produce and a performance by the Sheringham Shantymen, with young visitors given a chance to try on lifeboat kit and meet owls from Lenwade-based Norfolk Wild Encounters.
Bob Pooley, who, with his wife Judy and dog Adam, has been travelling to Cromer from his home in Northamptonshire since 2002 to help out with lifeboat day bucket collections, said: "I am a big supporter of the RNLI as I think a lot of people don't realise that, nationally, lifeboats rescue 10,000 people every year who might otherwise have drowned"
You may also want to watch:
Thanking all those who helped make the event a success, Cromer RNLI press officer Audrey Smith said: "After a quiet start, things really took off and we have had lots of compliments from people who have had a great day out."
- 1 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?
- 2 Village pub wins status as asset of community value
- 3 Fishermen accuse wind farm giant of bullying in compensation row
- 4 'It's disappointing' - Anger as crab pots used for beach bonfire
- 5 160-year-old pub to be demolished to make way for seven homes
- 6 Teenagers brighten bus shelter with village mural
- 7 Group overwhelmed by support as they aim to 'reclaim the lane'
- 8 Warning over con artists trying 'council tax' scam in Norfolk
- 9 Three farms hit by thefts of valuable tractor GPS systems
- 10 Cyclist fights for life after crash with car