Hundreds flock to Cromer pier and promenade for annual lifeboat day
- Credit: Archant
Live music, a fete and appearances by RNLI mascot Stormy Stan were among the attractions at a lifeboat day held on Cromer's pier and promenade on Sunday.
Organised by local lifeboat management team members, the annual event is supported by Cromer Ladies Lifeboat Guild, whose 100-plus members raise more than £15,000 a year for the RNLI.
As well as seeing both the town's inshore and offshore lifeboats being launched, lifeboat day visitors had a chance to chat to crew members and see the Wells-next-the-sea police patrol boat monitoring marine crime along the coast, which was brought along by beat manager PC Jason Pegden and his team.
Other attractions included stalls selling Norfolk produce and a performance by the Sheringham Shantymen, with young visitors given a chance to try on lifeboat kit and meet owls from Lenwade-based Norfolk Wild Encounters.
Bob Pooley, who, with his wife Judy and dog Adam, has been travelling to Cromer from his home in Northamptonshire since 2002 to help out with lifeboat day bucket collections, said: "I am a big supporter of the RNLI as I think a lot of people don't realise that, nationally, lifeboats rescue 10,000 people every year who might otherwise have drowned"
Thanking all those who helped make the event a success, Cromer RNLI press officer Audrey Smith said: "After a quiet start, things really took off and we have had lots of compliments from people who have had a great day out."
- 1 First look inside: New deli and surf shop open on coast
- 2 Council urged to take over ownership of derelict Cromer nightclub
- 3 'Amazing' display of cascading poppies now on display in Cromer
- 4 Car set alight in arson attack in north Norfolk
- 5 How north Norfolk will be celebrating the Jubilee
- 6 Man swims for survival after speedboat sinks off Norfolk coast
- 7 More details revealed on replacement for beloved coastal railway
- 8 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk singer's big hopes for her girl band's debut single
- 10 Sole survivor peregrine chick is ringed