Holt holiday plan refused
A five-bed guest house holiday scheme near Holt has been refused by planners because of fears it will spoil the local countryside.But councillors making the decision heard that while the modest plan breached policy, a large five-star spa hotel could in theory have been permitted.
A five-bed guest house holiday scheme near Holt has been refused by planners because of fears it will spoil the local countryside.
But councillors making the decision heard that while the modest plan breached policy, a large five-star spa hotel could in theory have been permitted.
Simon Chapman's project featured a barn-style building at Jenis Barn on the Thornage Road half a mile from town. He told North Norfolk District Council's west area planning committee its quality rooms would be attractive to cyclists and walkers, would fulfil a holiday need and help boost Holt's economy.
However councillors were told that policy frowned on using the countryside for new holiday accommodation that could be provided elsewhere in towns and villages.
You may also want to watch:
Planning officer Holly Wake said there was some flexibility to allow accommodation that was in short supply, such as a five star spa hotel, but not bed and breakfast, which was plentiful with 3,500 local beds.
Dr Ian Shepherd outlined the Campaign to Protect Rural England objections to the scheme, saying it would set an unwanted precedent for development in the Glaven Valley conservation area.
- 1 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 2 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
- 3 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 4 Black Prince returns for first journey of the year at North Norfolk railway
- 5 Plans proposed for 'flexible' space in derelict area of popular park
- 6 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 7 'Why reopening on June 21 is the right decision'
- 8 'Heartbroken' - Shock after village play area ‘trashed’ by graffiti vandals
- 9 Holiday home owner calls for guidance over foreign workers
- 10 Is this the ultimate Norfolk road trip?
Officers recommended refusal, which was agreed by seven votes to two.