Decision day for Holt Hall's future
- Credit: Archant
The fate of outdoor learning centre Holt Hall will be decided today.
Norfolk County Council's cabinet meeting will make a decision about the 75-acre site, and if it is to follow a recommendation to close the outdoor learning centre and sell it.
Holt Hall is the second largest provider of both outdoor learning residential stays and outdoor learning day visits in the county for 70 years.
In October, the council announced it was no longer able to afford the facility, with a petition to save the service receiving more than 5,000 signatures.
Those pushing for Holt Hall to be saved say the decision to close it is short-sighted and will leave children as the greatest losers.
Option 1 is that the council continue operating Holt Hall as an outdoor education centre. Although this has the advantage of offering “continuity” for schools, the council does not consider it viable because the deficit the centre runs.
The second explores a partnership approach and allows a third party to take over running the centre and continuing outdoor learning activities there. But the council said this was “high risk with limited benefit” and they would probably have to continue subsiding the site.
You may also want to watch:
Option 3 is to simply close Holt Hall and sell the site.
The report outlines option three as the recommended option due to eliminating the council's financial risk.
- 1 Nature lovers' dream? Two wildlife paradises for sale
- 2 Dancers' dilemma: Pier show cast priced out by Airbnb
- 3 Fond farewell for lifelong Cromer crab fisherman
- 4 'A nightmare' - Roadworks cause traffic chaos in North Walsham
- 5 'Truly sorry' - Former rival pays damages to Norfolk MP
- 6 Demolition of seaside hotel begins
- 7 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 8 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?
- 9 Cromer florist 'delighted' as new business flourishes
- 10 See inside the boutique hotel with spa centre reserved for guests
The council's scrutiny committee has the ability to call in the decision, if it wants to look at it in detail and make recommendations back to cabinet or ask cabinet to reconsider.