Norfolk town has a new-look car park just in time for Christmas
- Credit: Archant
Christmas shoppers in one Norfolk town have a slick new place to leave their vehicles after an £80,000 car park refurbishment.
The formerly gravel, uneven surface at the North Norfolk District Council-owned car park in Highfield Road, Fakenham, has been replaced with a sealed surface, and there are also new signs and an entrance barrier at the site.
The works took eight weeks, and mean the car park now has 70 spaces plus five disabled spaces, bringing the number of car parking spaces available in Fakenham to more than 400 across four council-owned car parks.
Councillor Sarah Butikofer, council leader, said: 'I am delighted this updated facility is now back online just in time to support local traders and local residents during the busy Christmas period.'
Councillor John Rest, leader of the North Norfolk Independent group said: 'It is nice to see yet another project completed by NNDC.
'This is no longer an eyesore and offers the residents and visitors to Fakenham a site that is now purpose built.
'This car park along with all of our others in the district offer good value, particularly with our annual parking permit scheme.'
- 1 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 2 Security fears raised over Badersfield asylum seeker plan
- 3 5 TV shows and films shot in Norfolk getting released in 2022
- 4 Bid to change use of north Norfolk B&B to residential home
- 5 Bid to open glampsite in north Norfolk meadow
- 6 Siberian dogs are finding new Norfolk homes thanks to three animal lovers
- 7 'A coffee shop was a childhood dream' - Q&A with Mel Benns
- 8 Arrive by boat at new Norfolk wedding venue
- 9 Dog bans could be extended at north Norfolk parks
- 10 Coffin nails and metal hips raise thousands for hospice
Local councillors Annie Claussen-Reynolds and Roy Reynolds said they were also pleased with the new-look car park.
They said in a statement: 'We are delighted that after much public consultation, with the people of Fakenham and area wishing this to remain a car park, that Highfield Road car park, once an eyesore is now a very respectable, clean and hard surfaced car park.
'This will give residents and tourists alike the welcoming gateway into Fakenham.
'We are also pleased that there are two free parking days in Fakenham on Saturday 15 and Saturday, December 22 and this will include Highfield Road. We wish all businesses in Fakenham a very prosperous Christmas and New Year'.