Norfolk town has a new-look car park just in time for Christmas
- Credit: Archant
Christmas shoppers in one Norfolk town have a slick new place to leave their vehicles after an £80,000 car park refurbishment.
The formerly gravel, uneven surface at the North Norfolk District Council-owned car park in Highfield Road, Fakenham, has been replaced with a sealed surface, and there are also new signs and an entrance barrier at the site.
The works took eight weeks, and mean the car park now has 70 spaces plus five disabled spaces, bringing the number of car parking spaces available in Fakenham to more than 400 across four council-owned car parks.
Councillor Sarah Butikofer, council leader, said: 'I am delighted this updated facility is now back online just in time to support local traders and local residents during the busy Christmas period.'
Councillor John Rest, leader of the North Norfolk Independent group said: 'It is nice to see yet another project completed by NNDC.
You may also want to watch:
'This is no longer an eyesore and offers the residents and visitors to Fakenham a site that is now purpose built.
'This car park along with all of our others in the district offer good value, particularly with our annual parking permit scheme.'
- 1 Wartime spirit fills north Norfolk as 1940s weekend returns
- 2 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 3 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 4 WATCH: Pigs root out Second World War bomb
- 5 7 of the prettiest streets in Norfolk
- 6 'Pass slow and wide' horse procession held in north Norfolk
- 7 Town's skatepark finally reopens
- 8 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 9 Lifeboat crews called to help sinking fishing boat off Norfolk coast
- 10 Man released on bail after reports of fight in village
Local councillors Annie Claussen-Reynolds and Roy Reynolds said they were also pleased with the new-look car park.
They said in a statement: 'We are delighted that after much public consultation, with the people of Fakenham and area wishing this to remain a car park, that Highfield Road car park, once an eyesore is now a very respectable, clean and hard surfaced car park.
'This will give residents and tourists alike the welcoming gateway into Fakenham.
'We are also pleased that there are two free parking days in Fakenham on Saturday 15 and Saturday, December 22 and this will include Highfield Road. We wish all businesses in Fakenham a very prosperous Christmas and New Year'.