Nine in 10 over-65s have had first Covid-19 vaccine, says NHS
- Credit: Denise Bradley
Nine out of 10 people aged 65 and over in England have had their first Covid vaccine, NHS leaders have announced.
NHS England on Monday said that the vaccination programme had jabbed more than more than 17 million people in a matter of weeks, including four in five people aged 65 to 69.
The new milestone comes as nearly two million people aged 60 to 63 in England have been sent letters inviting them to book a coronavirus jab.
This follows the NHS writing to almost 450,000 people aged 64 last week inviting them to have a jab, as well as 600,000 at-risk individuals who have recently been asked to shield.
The latest batch of invites arriving from Monday will also mean everyone in the first seven priority groups will have been offered a jab, NHS England said.
Professor Stephen Powis, the NHS's national medical director, said: "In just a few months, the NHS has made extraordinary progress in vaccinating more than 17 million people across the country and it is incredible that more than nine out of 10 people aged 65 and over have already received potentially life-saving protection.
"It is down to the hard work of NHS staff, volunteers and all the others supporting the vaccination programme, that we can now invite everyone aged 60 to 63 years old to arrange an appointment to get jabbed as soon as possible.
You may also want to watch:
"It is never too late to take up the offer and I would urge anyone eligible who has yet to do so to come forward and protect yourself and others."
A total of 17,641,792 Covid-19 vaccinations took place in England between December 8 and February 27, according to provisional NHS England data, including 17,051,245 first doses.
People can use the national booking service to reserve a slot at one of the NHS mass vaccination centres, like the ones in Norwich, Attleborough, North Walsham and Harleston or almost 200 pharmacy-led services across the country, NHS England said.
- 1 Gelato and chocolate shop to open two new Norfolk stores
- 2 The Original Factory Shop set to open in Cromer
- 3 £20,000 recording studio set to open in market town bank vault
- 4 Prince Philip memorial erected in town park just a day after his death
- 5 When 13-year-old Prince Philip visited Cromer following 1934 crab boat disaster
- 6 'We love the town sentimentally' - Holt opticians firm opens 10th store in lockdown
- 7 Couple put up for sale £1.1m barn they saved from demolition
- 8 Prince Philip's humorous Norfolk care home visit remembered
- 9 Town church to hold memorial service for Prince Philip tomorrow
- 10 North Walsham gym to re-open despite vaccinations continuing
The booking service can be accessed at www.nhs.uk/covid-vaccination.
Those who cannot go online can call 119 free of charge and NHS teams are visiting people who are housebound and cannot travel to a vaccination service.