Going on holiday the green way
Two youngsters who take their eco-friendly habits on holiday with them have won awards through a scheme to encourage sustainable tourism.
Co-operative Travel invited pupils at local schools to keep summer holiday scrapbooks charting what they did and how environmentally sustainable it was.
Local winners were Eleanor Ground, 10, from Mundesley Junior School, and nine-year-old Rory Porter-Davies from Antingham and Southrepps Primary.
Eleanor's scrapbook showed a holiday on the Greek island of Zakynthos. Although the family, who live in an eco-friendly house at Gimingham, flew, they did not take suitcases, to lighten the load.
The stayed in an eco-village where they bought food from the local shop, ate cheese from local goats milk, bought presents from markets, and learned about the environment from a guide who gave them a tour of the island including protected sites and a new turtle rehabilitation unit.
You may also want to watch:
Rory stayed in the UK for his holiday at Newquay in Cornwall where he went rock pooling, surfing, and went on walks to save pollution. His scrapbook also showed that home he is environmentally conscious - recycling rubbish, conserving water, growing vegetables in the garden, and buying local produce.
The two youngsters were given certificates and �15 worth of music and book vouchers by Co-operative Travel, whose Cromer joint branch managers Samantha Antoniades-Cork and Jo Dobbie said they wanted to find a way to educate young people about the impact their holidays had on the environment.
- 1 Converted bungalow with 'wonderful' woodland views for sale
- 2 'We sold one book' - Bookshop owners on a year of highs and lows
- 3 'Anything is possible': 21-year-old uses lockdown to launch business
- 4 £2m for 62 new homes as council boss calls residential care a 'last resort'
- 5 Housing bid blocked over foul sewage fears
- 6 Craft exhibition moves after losing its home to new bakery
- 7 Full steam ahead for the Marsham Show 2021, say organisiers
- 8 Memorial to victims of Covid-19 unveiled
- 9 All-terrain wheelchairs come to north Norfolk beaches
- 10 North Norfolk fish and chip shop among best in the country