Go-ahead for Cromer hospital
Sarah BrealeyPlans to rebuild Cromer hospital have been given the nod by a health watchdog, despite concerns about the loss of some services there.Sarah Brealey
Plans to rebuild Cromer hospital have been given the nod by a health watchdog, despite concerns about the loss of some services there.
Norfolk's health scrutiny committee heard there is still worry and sadness among Cromer people at the loss of surgery and endoscopy.
But the �15m hospital will have new facilities, including a permanent breast screening unit, a hearing service for children and an MRI scanning service.
At its meeting yesterday, the committee of councillors could have chosen to refer the proposals to the secretary of state. But everyone involved said they were keen for work to start on the new hospital, which is being paid for mostly with legacies left by local women Sagle Bernstein and Phyllis Cox.
Julie Cave, the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital's director of resources, said that although 3,000 patients a year would have to travel to Norwich for endoscopy and surgery, 8,000 extra patients would benefit from the new services being provided in Cromer.
Michele Nash, from Cromer Hospital Action Group, said: "Cromer people are not happy, particularly the elderly who are worried about the discomfort and difficulty of travelling to the N&N." But she said they had been involved in discussions with the N&N, adding: "We do not want any delay with the building."
- 1 Norfolk-born entrepreneur is second richest person in country
- 2 Cafe and shop along Norfolk Broads up for sale with 'rare opportunity'
- 3 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 4 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 5 Morgan the model moggie raises £1,000s for other animals
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 The north Norfolk roads closing for the Queen's Jubilee
- 8 Hundreds of motors park up for classic vehicle day at Norfolk gardens
- 9 Cash boost for church campaign backed by Normal for Norfolk star
- 10 'Amazing' display of cascading poppies now on display in Cromer
The N&N's board is set to approve the hospital plans today.