‘It’s not dead but ...’ - fresh doubts over Wetherspoon coming to town
- Credit: Archant
Pub chain J D Wetherspoon may have changed its tune over opening a new pub and restaurant in a Norfolk town.
Wetherspoon first said it wanted to open a pub in the old North Walsham Town Council offices in New Road five years ago.
But no contracts have been exchanged despite the firm consistently saying it wanted to move to the town.
However, following the latest meeting between Wetherspoon and North Norfolk District Council (NNDC) last month, the firm failed to repeat the same claim.
Instead, Wetherspoon spokesman Eddie Gershon said the matter was now being "discussed internally at Wetherspoon".
The ruling Liberal Democrats at NNDC have been reviewing the building's future, and council leader Sarah Butikofer said: "It's not dead, but it's got to be right for the people of North Walsham, and value for money."
A Facebook group called J D Wetherspoons for North Walsham has nearly 1,000 signatures.
- 1 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 2 New car boot to take place monthly after early success
- 3 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 4 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 5 Book shop partners open new branch for second-hand volumes
- 6 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 7 Soaring cost-of-living among objections to car park charge rises
- 8 Seaside ramp reopens following restoration work after erosion
- 9 Stunning 'Lady of the Wood' carved statue revealed at park
- 10 Men fined more than £600 for fishing illegally