French visitors join Sheringham for jubilee celebrations
A group of French visitors were in town to help Sheringham celebrate the Diamond Jubilee.
The party from France included the deputy mayor of Muzillac, Nicole Daniel, and the chairman of the Muzillac-Sheringham Twinning Association Henri Le Cadre, who were welcomed to the town by the mayor of Sheringham, Doug Smith.
During the visit they attended the jubilee church service at St.Peter's Church, the Mo Museum and the Sheringham Lifeboat Museum, and saw the unveiling of two planters outside the town's post office.
Bad weather forced the cancellation of the Big Picnic they were due to attend.
On Monday they attended a civic lunch hosted by the mayor and town council at which Mrs Daniel was presented with a commemorative jubilee mug and plate. She spoke of her wish to explore further links between the two towns across all age ranges and interest groups, before the twinning is officially recognised by the towns' councils.
Like Sheringham, Muzillac has many small independent shops, a thriving market, fishing and farming businesses. It also has two primary schools and two high schools and more than 70 local organisations, including 13 sporting groups.
The town will also play host to another set of visitors from Muzillac between July 10-15 when a party of 28 adults and seven children from Muzillac in Brittany, will be in Sheringham for a five day visit. The trip will be their fourth visit to Sheringham since the twinning link was established in 2004. At the same time pupils from Sheringham High School will be visiting Muzillac for the second time.
- 1 Village pub reopening after £20k refurbishment
- 2 Vandals target Banksy artwork in Cromer
- 3 'Rare' blue lobster found by Norfolk fisherman
- 4 New chef brings taste of the Med to town cafe
- 5 North Norfolk pub re-opens as a hotel
- 6 Norfolk woman wins national science teaching award
- 7 Norfolk man runs 68 miles in one day for charity
- 8 Popular 'cheese with no name' finally gets a name
- 9 Sheringham artists preparing for fourth exhibition together
- 10 Local mental health charity opening community hub in Aylsham
Anyone wanting to find out more about Muzillac and the twinning association, can visit the website and blog, www.sheringham-muzillac.co.uk or phone the secretary, Mary Penning on 01263 514353.