Sir Norman Lamb ‘horrified’ by ‘astonishing’ exit poll results
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Former North Norfolk MP Sir Norman Lamb has said he is 'horrified' Boris Johnson looks set to be returned to Number 10 but also hit out at the Liberal Democrat campaign.
Speaking in the moments after the general election exit poll predicted an 86-seat Conservative majority Sir Norman said: "I am horrified by Boris Johnson I don't think he is fit to be our prime minister - I think he struggles with the truth. But they have played to people's feelings about the complete failings of parliament to sort this out."
He added: "It is quite an astonishing result. In my view this has been the worst government in living memory - achieved virtually nothing and yet they have won with a spectacular majority. I think it poses massive questions for both Labour and the Lib Dems. Corbyn is a disastrous Labour leader.
"I have been confronted by so many people of all classes who have been left completely uninspired and without any idea of how they are going to vote. People have thought 'I can't vote Corbyn I better vote Johnson'."
Sir Norman, who stood down as an MP at this election after successfully holding North Norfolk since 2001, was also critical of the Lib Dems' campaign nationally and admitted things looked bleak in his old seat.
You may also want to watch:
"I also think we fought a very poor campaign. The central message has been wrong. It is not a result that particularly surprises me."
- 1 Holkham Estate hiring warden - with tasks to include nudist beach patrol
- 2 Norfolk's Covid infection rate at lowest point for three months
- 3 Plans show how old former care home site could become housing
- 4 WATCH: Teenage girls fined after setting fire to public toilet
- 5 Seafront Bath House homes for sale again after price drop
- 6 Have your say - should north Norfolk be able to ease restrictions sooner?
- 7 Cromer Pier to re-open to the public from next month
- 8 Bid to knock down care home and build houses rejected
- 9 North Norfolk clash over budget as its share of council tax is frozen
- 10 Warning over scam 'Aviva' automated cold calls