Former banking hall to become ladies fashion floor at Norfolk’s newest charity shop
- Credit: Archant
Norfolk's newest charity shop is about to open in a former bank branch.
East Anglia's Children's Hospices (EACH), is in the final stages of outfitting the Grade II listed former Barclays branch in Tucker Street, Comer, into a store selling clothes and other used items.
Parts of the building once familiar to those who worked in and visited the bank - which closed in December 2017 - will find them transformed.
Sarah Throssell, EACH shop acquisition manager, said: "We're delighted plans are now well under way to bring our retail offering to Cromer.
"We'll have quite an emporium, with the original banking hall transformed into a ladies' fashion floor and the bank manager's office becoming a dedicated children's room, decorated with bright beach huts and offering an array of play activities.
"The customer interview rooms will be a separate menswear department and what was the counting room a large library, and place to sit and relax."
Ms Throssell said the new shop's manager would be a familiar face to people who had visited the EACH branch in Fakenham.
- 1 The north Norfolk roads closing for the Queen's Jubilee
- 2 Landlord appeals against fine for 'excess cold and electrical hazards'
- 3 Anne Boleyn's execution commemorated at Blickling
- 4 North Walsham 'Live Aid' legend calls it a day after 17 years
- 5 Norfolk-born entrepreneur is second richest person in country
- 6 Cafe and shop along Norfolk Broads up for sale with 'rare opportunity'
- 7 'Amazing' display of cascading poppies now on display in Cromer
- 8 Morgan the model moggie raises £1,000s for other animals
- 9 'Long-awaited in the area' - New Norfolk deli celebrates local produce
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
She said: "Taking charge will be Laura Mackay, who comes across from our Fakenham shop having done a fantastic job and helped make that a real part of the community."
EACH's retail portfolio is growing fast, with nine shops having opened last year. This latest one in Cromer will be its third of 2019 and 38th overall.
In the past financial year, EACH shops generated more than £1.1 million.
The charity welcomes donations of the following clean and good-quality goods: clothing, bric-a-brac, modern paperbacks, toys, jewellery, DVDs/CDs, household linens, retro and vintage clothes, and small electrical items. These can be dropped off at the new shop from Monday, May 27.
EACH also needs donations of good-quality furniture and can collect it for free for anyone unable to transport it themselves. Call 01842 821620 for more information.
The charity is currently fundraising for the Nook appeal, which the charity describes as its vision to "transform children's palliative care in Norfolk and north Suffolk" and includes "a new purpose-built hospice in the heart of Norfolk".
Volunteers are needed for the new shop, anyone interested can email email@example.com or call Ms Throssell on 07540 335680.