Folk music legends and new faces will perform in Kinder Shores concert to benefit care leavers charity
- Credit: Archant
Some of the biggest, and some of the newest, names in folk music are gearing up for a concert in aid of a charity that supports care leavers including foster children.
The Kinder Shores gig at Cromer Pier's Pavilion Theatre on Thursday, May 10 will feature Richard Digance, Eric Sedge and the Hayley Moyses Britgrass Three. The show will also see the launch of a CD full of folk to benefit Rees: The Care Leavers Foundation.
Cromer resident Jenni Randall is organising the gig, which also kicks off the 20th annual Folk on the Pier weekend at the theatre.
Ms Randall, who has been a social worker for more than 50 years, said she knew first-hand the value of the work Rees did. She said the foundation hoped to set up a pilot project to provide specialist councillors to care leavers and care-experienced adults across East Anglia.
Ms Randall said the outside world could be a scary place for a 'life rookie' leaving care or foster care.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'Many of the issues that took them into care are not addressed and the care experience itself can be damaging emotionally and can be carried on long into adult life.
'Providing an ongoing specialist counselling targeted to the new issues and changing needs when they leave care will give them a better chance to succeed in the outside world.'
- 1 £20,000 recording studio set to open in market town bank vault
- 2 Gelato and chocolate shop to open two new Norfolk stores
- 3 Prince Philip's humorous Norfolk care home visit remembered
- 4 The Original Factory Shop set to open in Cromer
- 5 Couple put up for sale £1.1m barn they saved from demolition
- 6 Council puts former public toilets on seafront up for rent
- 7 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
- 8 Prince Philip memorial erected in town park just a day after his death
- 9 Tribute to loving and kind war veteran who opened school in Norfolk
- 10 Council claws back affordable homes after costly blunder
Digance, who has toured with Tom Jones and Steve Martin, said he was thrilled to be appearing in the show with the likes of Eric Sedge, whose song 'She's the One' inspired the name of the concert. He said: 'It's a pleasure to be raising funds for such a good cause and I look forward to a brilliant show with Eric singing his splendid song that inspired Kinder Shores. Please come along and support such a worthy cause.'
Sue Marchant from BBC Radio will host the Kinder Shores concert. Other performers will include Fraser Nimmo and duos Fran McGillivray and Mike Burke and Simon Care and Gareth Turner. As well as at the gig, which starts at 8pm, the Kinder Shores CD will also be available online from May 10 at www.kindershores.org.
Other musicians featuring on the CD include Jez Lowe, Little Johnny England, Fairpoint Convention and Johnny Copin.
Tickets are available online at www.cromerpier.co.uk or from 01263 512495.