Fittness group going strong - after 25 years
Members of an over-60s exercise class have celebrated 25 years of fitness, fun and friendship, with a tea party with cake and balloons.The group, which meets at Northrepps village hall on Mondays from 2.
Members of an over-60s exercise class have celebrated 25 years of fitness, fun and friendship, with a tea party with cake and balloons.
The group, which meets at Northrepps village hall on Mondays from 2.30-3.30pm, is run by national charity Extend, which trains instructors of exercise to music for the over-60s and those with special needs.
It was founded by Extend-trained instructor Marguerite Warr, who, although now 85, continues to attend weekly classes.
"It is a great way to keep active, and to make friends," Mrs Warr said.
Lindsey Davis, who retrained as an Extend instructor after being made redundant from her job as an accounts clerk at RAF Coltishall, took over the reins from Mrs Warr 18 months ago.
She also runs classes at Worstead day care centre, and at two North Walsham residential care homes.
- 1 Woman says symptom diary could 'save lives' after wait for cancer diagnosis
- 2 Barriers could block mountain bikes from north Norfolk beauty spot
- 3 Trains cancelled after lorry crashes into bridge
- 4 New book reveals how Albert Einstein's stay in Norfolk may have saved his life
- 5 People to get booster jabs sooner - but not at walk-in centres
- 6 All you need to know ahead of the Cromer New Year’s Day Fireworks 2022
- 7 Plan for new public loos in north Norfolk get £500,000 boost
- 8 Plans submitted to transform soft play area to restaurant
- 9 Duncan Baker MP 'welcomes' investigation into alleged Christmas party
- 10 Bereaved families' anger at No 10 staff video joking over Christmas party
"Taking part is stimulating both physically and mentally," Mrs Davis said. "And I think that anything older people can do keep active in both those respects improves their quality of life, which is what Extend is all about."
Members of the Northrepps group, three of whom are in their nineties, celebrated on Monday with a buffet tea followed by a slice of celebratory cake baked by Marguerite.
For information about joining Northrepps Extend group, phone 01263 768159.