Burglars swoop in after house is devastated by fire
- Credit: Archant
A family whose home was burned down last month have now been burgled.
Mark and Linda Stuckey's bungalow in Roughton Road, Cromer was gutted in a fire. And now the couple have been hit by burglars.
Earlier this week, fireworks were stolen from their garage, which had not been involved in the fire.
The burglars had taken fire tape off the outside of the bungalow to look inside the fire-ravaged home, before moving onto the garage to look for something to steal.
Mr Stuckey, who runs Classic Radio Shop from a workshop in the garden, said: "They had the same problem with looting in the Second World War, so it did not surprise me.
You may also want to watch:
"Sometimes individuals take advantage of other people's loss.
"Maybe, at first, they were just curious and looked inside the property, and then greed got the better of them. We have now had alarms fitted, so we will hear anything in the future."
- 1 Your say - What is your favourite restaurant in north Norfolk?
- 2 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 3 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 4 Appeal to find missing man from London last seen at Norfolk campsite
- 5 Vets announces temporary closure due to staff shortages
- 6 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 7 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 8 The sea has to be respected - so why don’t people learn?
- 9 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 10 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
The couple have lived elsewhere since the fire, but plan to move a caravan onto the garden to live at home soon. They have been told that the bungalow, which was insured, can be rebuilt.
Mr Stuckey said: "We have a pragmatic attitude to it. We cannot go back."
The couple lost about 85pc of their possessions in the blaze, which happened at about 4pm on Monday, June 17.
Mr Stuckey said he caused the fire when he was putting fresh felt on a section of flat roof. He spotted smoke coming from inside the roof space.
"Within four and a half minutes the whole place had gone up," he added.
Mr Stuckey, 63, and his wife, 71, ran out of the property with their dog Molly and called the fire service.
The couple thanked their neighbours who have helped them since.
A Norfolk police spokesman said: "We got a call to say that there had been a burglary at a property in Roughton Road, Cromer between 6pm on Monday, July 15 and 8am on Tuesday, July 16. Fireworks were stolen from the premises.
"Anyone with information should call Norfolk police on 101."