First new chess club in many years being set up in Norfolk
- Credit: Archant
The first new chess club to be set up in Norfolk in many years will be competing in the county league from later in the year.
Local players Bruce Carman, Bob Grindrod, David Owen, Matt Rausch and Jonathan Reeve are re-establishing Aylsham Chess Club in time for the 2018-19 season.
The plan is to enter teams in the NCCA (Norfolk County Chess Association) league which starts in October, as well as having internal graded competitions and playing friendly chess games.
The club will be based at Aylsham & District Ex-Service and Social Club in Hungate Street.
Club chairman Bob Grindrod said: 'We are thrilled to be starting up the first new chess club in Norfolk for many years. We will launch officially when the new season starts in September with a series of exciting chess events.'
You may also want to watch:
For more information call club secretary David Owen on 07796 292318.
- 1 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 4 Stunning north Norfolk images shared to mark Norfolk Day
- 5 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 6 Norfolk inspires designs for £4.8m cancer centre, as opening day nears
- 7 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 8 Inquest opens into death of teenager found in his home
- 9 Town council move to ban plastic crab lines from Cromer Pier
- 10 Classic Ibiza setlist for Blickling Estate revealed