Investigation under way after bungalow and mobile home destroyed in Norfolk fire

PUBLISHED: 09:53 04 June 2019 | UPDATED: 09:53 04 June 2019

Aftermath of Trimingham fire. Pictures: David Bale

Aftermath of Trimingham fire. Pictures: David Bale


A fire investigation is under way after a bungalow and a mobile home were destroyed in a blaze in north Norfolk.

Aftermath of Trimingham fire. Pictures: David BaleAftermath of Trimingham fire. Pictures: David Bale

Flames shot 20ft into the air as the properties were gutted in a major fire on the main Cromer Road in Trimingham.

A spokesman for Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service said today that an investigation into the blaze, which involved cylinders, would be carried out today. The cause of the blaze is not yet known. A cordon remains in place around the properties.

Crews from across the county were called to the blaze yesterday, and a pall of thick, black smoke could be seen for miles around.

John Baker, a station manager who was in charge at the scene, said luckily no-one was hurt in the fire, which was reported at 2.20pm.

Aftermath of Trimingham fire. Pictures: David BaleAftermath of Trimingham fire. Pictures: David Bale

Mr Baker said: "It was a very severe fire. When we got here the mobile home was well alight with 20 foot flames going up into the air.

"There was big, black, toxic smoke.

"It spread to adjacent hedge and it also spread to an adjacent bungalow."

Mr Baker said the bungalow and mobile home were destroyed, and the fire had also spread to a garage, which was partially damaged.

You may also want to watch:

Neighbours Barry and Jennifer Hugman were shocked by the scale of the blaze.

Mrs Hugman said she had heard what she described as an "explosion".

She said: "I was sitting outside reading and I heard an explosion. I thought somebody had lit a bonfire.

"I came outside and I thought 'that's a lot of smoke for a bonfire'.

"I saw the flames. It was quite horrifying."

Mr Baker said neighbours had done an "excellent job" checking everybody was out of the buildings, and stopping traffic from coming through.

Norfolk police were also on the scene and set up a cordon across the road, with a diversion in place for motorists.

Fire engines from Cromer, Sheringham, Aylsham, Taverham, Sprowston, Martham and Great Yarmouth were called, as well as a water carrier and support

team from Fakenham and an aerial ladder platform from Earlham.

The fire had been brought under control by 5pm, but crews remained at the scene.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Norfolk News. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the North Norfolk News