Fire breaks out near Cromer Lighthouse
- Credit: Archant
An area of grassland near Cromer Lighthouse is ablaze this morning.
Five crews were called to the area on cliffs east of the town at 10.10am (Wednesday) and were still engaged at the scene as of 11am.
A column of thick, white smoke could be seen rising over the area earlier, and the smoke has since turned a darker, browish-grey colour.
Fire crews had not been able to get their vehicles too close to the fire, and so have been using extendable hoses to battle the blaze.
Tracey Hall, the wife of lighthouse keeper, Michael Hall, said an area of bracken between the clifftop Royal Cromer Golf Club and the beach was affected.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'The fire is in the basin between the beach and the golf course.'
Sue Meek, a holidaymaker who is staying at the lighthouse cottages, said she went outside for a cup of tea when she saw bits of ash floating through the air.
- 1 Market organiser vows big return after weather fears spark cancellation
- 2 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 3 Father and son rescued after being swept out to sea
- 4 Roll up, roll up as circus hits north Norfolk coast
- 5 Treasure Island coming to north Norfolk pub garden
- 6 Rescuers called as seaside visitors cut off by high tide
- 7 Joy as classic diesel loco gets back on the tracks
- 8 Objectors gather to protest against 60ft 5G phone mast plans
- 9 Rail service disrupted after boat hits railway bridge
- 10 Classic cars raise hundreds for charity at Mundesley Motor Show
A Norfolk Fire and Rescue spokesman said: 'The first appliance was there at 10.22am and there's no stop sign as yet. It's a grassland fire. There's currently five appliances there.'
Crews from Cromer, Fakenham, Mundesley, North Walsham and Sheringham fire stations are involved in the response at the scene of the blaze, off Cromer Road. The spokesman said an ambulance had also been called to the scene.
-Have you taken any pictures or video of the fire? Share them by emailing to stuart.anderson@Archant.co.uk