School evacuated and pupils sent home after fire in staff room
- Credit: Archant
Parents have been forced to pick up their children early from a north Norfolk school after a fire broke out in a staff room.
Fire engines from Cromer, Sheringham and Aylsham were called to the blaze Suffield Park Infant and Nursery School in Mill Road, Cromer today (November 23).
And although the fire was extinguished quickly and little damage was caused, the school was evacuated and all pupils were sent home early.
Nicola Stewart, the school's head teacher, said pupils and staff had to be evacuated after a microwave in the school's staff room caught fire.
Mrs Stewart said pupils had to sent home because the school was unable to provide them with their lunch following the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'We had a really small fire caused by a microwave in the staff room.
'All children were evacuated speedily and safely and followed really well-practiced procedures.
- 1 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 2 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 3 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 4 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 5 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 6 Stunning north Norfolk images shared to mark Norfolk Day
- 7 Classic Ibiza setlist for Blickling Estate revealed
- 8 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 9 Dog boutique to celebrate second birthday with treats for pooches
- 10 Driver, 21, left paralysed after crashing into tree, court told
'We have evacuated for the day, but that's only because we cannot give them their lunches.'
Mrs Stewart said the school would be open as normal again on Monday morning.
A Norfolk Fire and Rescue spokesman said crews were called at 11.24am, and were on the scene until 11.52am.
Police and ambulance were made aware of the incident.
Crews also used a positive pressure fan to disperse smoke and a thermal imaging camera to check for residual hot spots.