Search

School evacuated and pupils sent home after fire in staff room

Suffield Park Infant and Nursery School. Pictures: David Bale

Suffield Park Infant and Nursery School. Pictures: David Bale

Archant

Parents have been forced to pick up their children early from a north Norfolk school after a fire broke out in a staff room.

Suffield Park Infant and Nursery School in Mill Road, Cromer, the day of a fire in the staff room (November 23, 2018). Picture: STUART ANDERSONSuffield Park Infant and Nursery School in Mill Road, Cromer, the day of a fire in the staff room (November 23, 2018). Picture: STUART ANDERSON

Fire engines from Cromer, Sheringham and Aylsham were called to the blaze Suffield Park Infant and Nursery School in Mill Road, Cromer today (November 23).

And although the fire was extinguished quickly and little damage was caused, the school was evacuated and all pupils were sent home early.

Nicola Stewart, the school’s head teacher, said pupils and staff had to be evacuated after a microwave in the school’s staff room caught fire.

Mrs Stewart said pupils had to sent home because the school was unable to provide them with their lunch following the blaze.

She said: “We had a really small fire caused by a microwave in the staff room.

“All children were evacuated speedily and safely and followed really well-practiced procedures.

“We have evacuated for the day, but that’s only because we cannot give them their lunches.”

Mrs Stewart said the school would be open as normal again on Monday morning.

A Norfolk Fire and Rescue spokesman said crews were called at 11.24am, and were on the scene until 11.52am.

Police and ambulance were made aware of the incident.

Crews also used a positive pressure fan to disperse smoke and a thermal imaging camera to check for residual hot spots.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Norfolk News

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists