Feelgood factor for social club
A social club is using the feelgood factor to showcase its newly-refurbished concert room.
Sheringham Social Club is hosting the famous Essex rhythm and blues rockers Dr Feelgood on March 11.
The high profile act at the long-running venue is part of a campaign to attract new users and members.
Treasurer Clive Sanham said the club, like many others, was working hard to keep buoyant in the face the smoking ban and constant rises in costs.
Committee member Cris Glover, a music promoter, was helping to bring in bigger-name bands in the refurbished 200-capacity concert room at the club on the Holway Road.
You may also want to watch:
Others were being planned, but they were also hoping to promote the venue in general. It already staged dancing, bingo, snooker, darts, pool, but was open to suggestions for other events and activities.
The club's roots go back to after the war when it was an ex servicemen's and sportsmen's club intiially over the Central Garage then moved to the current site, an old cinema and auction rooms, in the early 1970s said Mr Canham. It was renamed to show it was open to everyone, was also known as the 'top club' and 'sporty's. and had about 1,000 members.
- 1 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 2 Wartime spirit fills north Norfolk as 1940s weekend returns
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 5 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 6 'Proud to be a Cromer fisherman' - Tributes paid to Norfolk stalwart
- 7 Cromer: gang throw glass bottles at group near beach
- 8 Parts of Norfolk at risk of heavy downpours
- 9 Tribute shows planned in memory of Paul Eastwood
- 10 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
Dr Feelgood will be on stage at 9.30pm on Friday March 11 during a busy touring schedule that sees them in the UK, France, Belgium, Sweden and Switzerland.
They will be supported by Norfolk-based band Second Hand Blues from 7pm. Tickets are �15, or �12.50 for members. For more information and tickets call 01263 823526 or Cris at Morimaru Promotions on 07909 723926 or visit www.topclub.org.uk