Search

Family claims £1800 owed to them after care home shuts unexpectedly

PUBLISHED: 09:53 30 August 2019 | UPDATED: 08:46 02 September 2019

Mead Lodge care home in Buxton is now closed. Picture: Mead House

Mead Lodge care home in Buxton is now closed. Picture: Mead House

Archant

A family claims they are owed £1,800 after a care home for people living with dementia closed last month -and that they are refusing to pay them.

The privately-run Mead Lodge Residential Care in Crown Road, Buxton, shut on August 14.

Ivan Frith was a resident at the home and his family claim that the owners are refusing to pay them the money.

A spokesman for Mead Lodge, who did not wish to be named, said he would "sort it out" but said that he had been "abused and harassed" over the money by Mr Frith's daughter Laura Nearney and son-in-law, Glenn Nearney.

Mr Nearney, from Mundesley, said: "Mr Frith has been rehomed to Cawston at great distress to all, especially him.

"They are refusing to pay the money they owe us.

You may also want to watch:

"They were paid resident fees at the end of last month for the whole of the next month. Due to Mead Lodge closing in the middle of the month my father-in-law is owed over £1,800. We are struggling to cover his present care costs and this money is vital on his new placement working."

A Mead Lodge spokesman said: "I'm happy to sort it out but I don't accept being abused. They were both rude to me. They can write me a letter."

As reported, when the care home closed at short notice, Trisha Howes, whose 89-year-old mother was a resident, said: "It's terrible. I have run around other homes but there's not much availability for dementia care. You can't put dementia patients just anywhere."

Someone who worked at the home, who asked not to be named, said at the time that Mead Lodge was closing due to a then unpublished negative report from the Care Quality Commission (CQC). That report has now been published and the CQC gave the home an overall rating of inadequate.

The worker said Norfolk County Council declined to temporarily take over running the home so it could remain open.

A council spokesman said it was working to ensure that the care and accommodation needs of those residents it funded would continue to be met.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the North Norfolk News

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists