Over 60s footballers at Norfolk village compete on national stage
- Credit: Archant
A north Norfolk village may be small in population but it packs a big punch when it comes to over 60s walking football.
The Erpingham Village over 60s Walking Football Club have just competed in the National Walking Football Competition, and made it to the last four.
One of the players Graham Gladden said: 'Sixty-four teams set out to reach these finals and 'little' Erpingham being in the last four is a tremendous achievement.
'The team was made up of nine players having roll on/roll off substitutions. We beat Norwich City at Carrow Park 2-1, then Norwich Soca Seniors 2-1 at Erpingham, then headed off to Southend for the next round beating them 2-0 and on to the finals in Nottingham. Erpingham were beaten 2-0 by Watford in the semi-finals. Our players mainly come from Holt, Cromer and Calthorpe.'
The team meets at Erpingham village hall on Wednesdays, with football starting at 10am.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Market organiser vows big return after weather fears spark cancellation
- 2 Father and son rescued after being swept out to sea
- 3 Objectors gather to protest against 60ft 5G phone mast plans
- 4 Stunning sunset artwork being raffled for new cancer centre
- 5 Classic cars raise hundreds for charity at Mundesley Motor Show
- 6 Tell us: Why young people move away from Norfolk
- 7 Rescuers called as seaside visitors cut off by high tide
- 8 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 9 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 10 Roll up, roll up as circus hits north Norfolk coast