England rugby star Ben Youngs shows his support for Aylsham shop
England rugby star Ben Youngs dropped in at Aylsham just before heading to New Zealand for this month's Rugby World Cup.
He was in the town to support local retailer JB Postle, which is taking part in a competition launched by manufacturer Smeg.
The competition is for the best window display featuring the limited edition Smeg England fridge.
Nikki Filby, proprietor of Postles, said: 'We had the paperwork in for the competition and the prize is a brand new strip for a local junior side. As we already support the Holt and North Walsham clubs this really appealed to us.'
The idea of using Youngs to impress the judges happened more by chance.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'We joked in the office that it would be good if we could use him, but felt it was a bit cheeky to ask. However, one day Ben's mum came into the shop so I asked her and to our surprise he agreed to it.'
Youngsters from North Walsham and Holt rugby clubs were able to meet their hero before posing for photos. The plan is if Postles wins they will let the two teams play off against each for the prize kit.
- 1 Concern over state of beach following £22m sandscaping project
- 2 Happy birthday, Arthur! 100 up for Second World War naval hero
- 3 Hospital to close with loss of 120 jobs
- 4 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?
- 5 Hotel's bid for nine holiday lodges 'to compete with Airbnb'
- 6 Rescue drama as kayaker spotted 'clinging to a buoy'
- 7 Listed townhouse with 'most stunning' features is for sale for £595,000
- 8 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 9 Taxi driver beaten up in case of mistaken identity
- 10 Sea sponge given name with a Norfolk twist
Youngs was making a whistle-stop tour back to his home county before flying out with the rest of the England squad.
He said: 'This is my first World Cup and I'm really excited about it. The fact that it's in New Zealand is even more special as they are really passionate about the game.'
The fridge is on display in the window at JB Postle's Aylsham branch. Anyone who buys one will be given an England rugby shirt.