England rugby star Ben Youngs shows his support for Aylsham shop
England rugby star Ben Youngs dropped in at Aylsham just before heading to New Zealand for this month's Rugby World Cup.
He was in the town to support local retailer JB Postle, which is taking part in a competition launched by manufacturer Smeg.
The competition is for the best window display featuring the limited edition Smeg England fridge.
Nikki Filby, proprietor of Postles, said: 'We had the paperwork in for the competition and the prize is a brand new strip for a local junior side. As we already support the Holt and North Walsham clubs this really appealed to us.'
The idea of using Youngs to impress the judges happened more by chance.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'We joked in the office that it would be good if we could use him, but felt it was a bit cheeky to ask. However, one day Ben's mum came into the shop so I asked her and to our surprise he agreed to it.'
Youngsters from North Walsham and Holt rugby clubs were able to meet their hero before posing for photos. The plan is if Postles wins they will let the two teams play off against each for the prize kit.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 'Crisis' appeal as heritage railway loses £765k in year
- 3 Popular wine merchant took his own life, inquest hears
- 4 Last chance to own historic items as town hall goes under offer
- 5 Norfolk scenes cut from Netflix's Sutton Hoo film The Dig
- 6 Parachute flare discovered on Norfolk beach
- 7 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 8 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 9 'Feast or famine' - On the frontline in restaurants during Covid
- 10 5 tips from Norwich expert to keep your car in peak condition in lockdown
Youngs was making a whistle-stop tour back to his home county before flying out with the rest of the England squad.
He said: 'This is my first World Cup and I'm really excited about it. The fact that it's in New Zealand is even more special as they are really passionate about the game.'
The fridge is on display in the window at JB Postle's Aylsham branch. Anyone who buys one will be given an England rugby shirt.