Elder statesmen of prominent Norfolk family celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary
- Credit: Archant
A Norfolk couple whose lives have been inextricably linked with one of the county's biggest business success stories have celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary.
Anthony and Vivienne (née Loggie) Baker were married on July 19, 1958 at All Saints Church, Beeston Regis, near Sheringham.
Mr Baker is a leading member of the Holt family of the same name and is a past chairman of the CT Baker group.
The couple have been regular members of All Saints since they returned to Norfolk about 30 years ago, after working elsewhere.
Mrs Baker was churchwarden for about 10 years, before her retirement in April.
You may also want to watch:
In a strange quirk of fate, the same organist played at their 1958 wedding, a special service on the occasion of their golden wedding, and at the Sunday service three days after their diamond wedding anniversary, all at the same church.
The organist, Dr Richard May, of Sheringham, attended the same dancing classes in the town as Mrs Baker more than 60 years ago.
- 1 When 13-year-old Prince Philip visited Cromer following crab boat disaster
- 2 Hospital's walk-in vaccine clinic suspended after poor attendance
- 3 'How it should be' - Cromer abuzz as businesses reopen
- 4 £500 grant paves way for new swimmers
- 5 Gelato and chocolate shop to open two new Norfolk stores
- 6 'We love the town sentimentally' - Holt opticians firm opens 10th store in lockdown
- 7 Police and community fridge to be discussed at Sheringham town meeting
- 8 The Original Factory Shop set to open in Cromer
- 9 Seal trips braced for busy season ahead - but quiet first day after easing
- 10 North Walsham gym to re-open despite vaccinations continuing
Mr Baker is a graduate of Cambridge University and a retired solicitor, having practised in London, becoming senior partner of the firm now known as Fladgate.
Until just over a year ago, he was very involved at C T Baker Ltd. He served as director for 44 years, including two spells as chairman.
During his time on the board he helped steer the group to success, growing turnover from £185,000 to £25m and increasing its workforce from 15 to 300.
The C T Baker group today consists of four builders' merchants yards, the Bakers and Larners department store, and the Budgens supermarkets and Post Offices in Aylsham and Holt.
Mr Baker is a keen golfer and has been captain at Sheringham Golf Club and subsequently president.
His wife trained as a children's nurse at Great Ormond Street Hospital in London and, following her marriage, was a staff nurse specialising in premature babies at Hammersmith Hospital, and thereafter at Amersham and High Wycombe hospitals.
The family includes a married son and daughter, three granddaughters, a grandson and their first great-grandson was born recently.