Elder statesmen of prominent Norfolk family celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary
- Credit: Archant
A Norfolk couple whose lives have been inextricably linked with one of the county's biggest business success stories have celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary.
Anthony and Vivienne (née Loggie) Baker were married on July 19, 1958 at All Saints Church, Beeston Regis, near Sheringham.
Mr Baker is a leading member of the Holt family of the same name and is a past chairman of the CT Baker group.
The couple have been regular members of All Saints since they returned to Norfolk about 30 years ago, after working elsewhere.
Mrs Baker was churchwarden for about 10 years, before her retirement in April.
In a strange quirk of fate, the same organist played at their 1958 wedding, a special service on the occasion of their golden wedding, and at the Sunday service three days after their diamond wedding anniversary, all at the same church.
The organist, Dr Richard May, of Sheringham, attended the same dancing classes in the town as Mrs Baker more than 60 years ago.
- 1 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 2 See inside this 17th century house with a hot tub and direct beach access
- 3 Blickling bathed in light in stunning festive display
- 4 Work 'up and running' at site of store destroyed in fire
- 5 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 6 Nominees for the North Norfolk Awards 2021 revealed
- 7 Man made threats to hurt ex-partner's father
- 8 Historic miller's house goes up for sale - and it needs renovating
- 9 £500,000 public toilet plan gets green light
- 10 Norwich woman writes a "truthful and heartbreaking" film about abuse
Mr Baker is a graduate of Cambridge University and a retired solicitor, having practised in London, becoming senior partner of the firm now known as Fladgate.
Until just over a year ago, he was very involved at C T Baker Ltd. He served as director for 44 years, including two spells as chairman.
During his time on the board he helped steer the group to success, growing turnover from £185,000 to £25m and increasing its workforce from 15 to 300.
The C T Baker group today consists of four builders' merchants yards, the Bakers and Larners department store, and the Budgens supermarkets and Post Offices in Aylsham and Holt.
Mr Baker is a keen golfer and has been captain at Sheringham Golf Club and subsequently president.
His wife trained as a children's nurse at Great Ormond Street Hospital in London and, following her marriage, was a staff nurse specialising in premature babies at Hammersmith Hospital, and thereafter at Amersham and High Wycombe hospitals.
The family includes a married son and daughter, three granddaughters, a grandson and their first great-grandson was born recently.