East Runton school days - 100 years apart
A village history group has recreated a bygone photo from a century ago featuring local schoolchildren.
The Runton Parish History Society found an old picture of the St Andrew's School pupils at East Runton wearing their best clothes and hats in 1911.
One hundred years on they gathered together all the local schoolchildren - now attending classes elsewhere because St Andrew's is now a privately run special school - for a picture at exactly the same spot.
The cottages in the background have changed little, barring the addition of two porches, but the children's schoolwear is much more informal with polo shirts and jumpers.
History society spokesman Chris Beckett said the first attempt to do the photo was cancelled when the heavens opened.
You may also want to watch:
But a second attempt a week later saw about 100 people turn up, including some adults who had attended the school in the past.
After the picture the guests attended an exhibition of photographs and documents was then held in the Reading Room on the corner of Felbrigg Road.
- 1 'Power buyers' help pump up north Norfolk housing market to new heights
- 2 The Original Factory Shop to open new site in north Norfolk
- 3 Beavers hard at work transforming chalk stream after Norfolk introduction
- 4 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 5 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 6 See inside this converted Victorian school on sale for £650,000
- 7 Foodbank changes name to reflect increased demand
- 8 Amazing aerial shots show scale of shipwreck
- 9 Man released on bail after reports of fight in village
- 10 Praise for retiring controller who kept an eye on Norfolk's coast
The society is planning regular events, exhibitions, and speakers about local history subjects. It is trying to encourage new members who pay �5 a year for administration costs.
And it is also keen to get new archive material - documents, photos or just memories - to fill gaps in its knowledge of the area.
Contact the parish clerk, at the Reading Room, on 01263 512214 most days, Ray Spinks at the Kitbag shop in East Runton, or Mr Beckett, who is membership secretary, at, Woodhurst, Water Lane, West Runton telephone 01263 837795 or email email@example.com.