East Runton school days - 100 years apart

A village history group has recreated a bygone photo from a century ago featuring local schoolchildren.

The Runton Parish History Society found an old picture of the St Andrew's School pupils at East Runton wearing their best clothes and hats in 1911.

One hundred years on they gathered together all the local schoolchildren - now attending classes elsewhere because St Andrew's is now a privately run special school - for a picture at exactly the same spot.

The cottages in the background have changed little, barring the addition of two porches, but the children's schoolwear is much more informal with polo shirts and jumpers.

History society spokesman Chris Beckett said the first attempt to do the photo was cancelled when the heavens opened.

But a second attempt a week later saw about 100 people turn up, including some adults who had attended the school in the past.

After the picture the guests attended an exhibition of photographs and documents was then held in the Reading Room on the corner of Felbrigg Road.

Most Read

The society is planning regular events, exhibitions, and speakers about local history subjects. It is trying to encourage new members who pay �5 a year for administration costs.

And it is also keen to get new archive material - documents, photos or just memories - to fill gaps in its knowledge of the area.

Contact the parish clerk, at the Reading Room, on 01263 512214 most days, Ray Spinks at the Kitbag shop in East Runton, or Mr Beckett, who is membership secretary, at, Woodhurst, Water Lane, West Runton telephone 01263 837795 or email cbeckett2@toucansurf.com.