Drivers caught in Aylsham rat run
Richard BatsonDrivers ignoring a through-traffic ban in Aylsham have been fined and warned in a police clampdown.Residents of Hungate Street raised concerns about motorists breaking the access-only rules, and using the narrow road as a rat-run, which resulted in a swoop by officials.Richard Batson
Drivers ignoring a through-traffic ban in Aylsham have been fined and warned in a police clampdown.
Residents of Hungate Street raised concerns about motorists breaking the access-only rules, and using the narrow road as a rat-run, which resulted in a swoop by officials.
An 'education and enforcement' day saw 20 drivers warned for trying to use the road as a short-cut, and five given fixed penalty tickets.
A further four received warnings for breaking the 20mph limit on Blickling Road in the initiative done through the Aylsham Safer Neighbourhood Team, highways authority, and town council.
You may also want to watch:
Drivers were also given information explaining the road restriction and were warned that enforcement action would be taken if they were caught breaking the rule again.
PCSO Tracey Frost from the Aylsham SNT said: 'The road is narrow and it is an annoyance to residents when motorists use the street as a short cut.'
- 1 Demolition of seaside hotel begins
- 2 Nature lovers' dream? Two wildlife paradises for sale
- 3 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 4 'A nightmare' - Roadworks cause traffic chaos in North Walsham
- 5 See inside the boutique hotel with spa centre reserved for guests
- 6 Cromer captured in stunning detail by academy students
- 7 Revealed: The fastest place to sell a home in Norfolk
- 8 New affordable homes in Fakenham for the elderly ahead of schedule
- 9 Dancers' dilemma: Pier show cast priced out by Airbnb
- 10 Campaigner 'more convinced than ever' about new light rail link