Drivers caught in Aylsham rat run
Richard BatsonDrivers ignoring a through-traffic ban in Aylsham have been fined and warned in a police clampdown.Residents of Hungate Street raised concerns about motorists breaking the access-only rules, and using the narrow road as a rat-run, which resulted in a swoop by officials.Richard Batson
Drivers ignoring a through-traffic ban in Aylsham have been fined and warned in a police clampdown.
Residents of Hungate Street raised concerns about motorists breaking the access-only rules, and using the narrow road as a rat-run, which resulted in a swoop by officials.
An 'education and enforcement' day saw 20 drivers warned for trying to use the road as a short-cut, and five given fixed penalty tickets.
A further four received warnings for breaking the 20mph limit on Blickling Road in the initiative done through the Aylsham Safer Neighbourhood Team, highways authority, and town council.
Drivers were also given information explaining the road restriction and were warned that enforcement action would be taken if they were caught breaking the rule again.
PCSO Tracey Frost from the Aylsham SNT said: 'The road is narrow and it is an annoyance to residents when motorists use the street as a short cut.'
- 1 Your say: Should we close carparks at north Norfolk beauty spots?
- 2 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 3 Panoramic views for every customer after award-winning restaurant's refurb
- 4 The £500,000 plan to redo two town loos
- 5 New book reveals how Albert Einstein's stay in Norfolk may have saved his life
- 6 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 7 Hardware store owners to bid farewell after seven decades in business
- 8 Nominees for the North Norfolk Awards 2021 revealed
- 9 Seaside village set to sparkle by turning into giant advent calendar
- 10 House of Gucci - the Norfolk connection