Drivers caught in Aylsham rat run
Richard BatsonDrivers ignoring a through-traffic ban in Aylsham have been fined and warned in a police clampdown.Residents of Hungate Street raised concerns about motorists breaking the access-only rules, and using the narrow road as a rat-run, which resulted in a swoop by officials.Richard Batson
Drivers ignoring a through-traffic ban in Aylsham have been fined and warned in a police clampdown.
Residents of Hungate Street raised concerns about motorists breaking the access-only rules, and using the narrow road as a rat-run, which resulted in a swoop by officials.
An 'education and enforcement' day saw 20 drivers warned for trying to use the road as a short-cut, and five given fixed penalty tickets.
A further four received warnings for breaking the 20mph limit on Blickling Road in the initiative done through the Aylsham Safer Neighbourhood Team, highways authority, and town council.
You may also want to watch:
Drivers were also given information explaining the road restriction and were warned that enforcement action would be taken if they were caught breaking the rule again.
PCSO Tracey Frost from the Aylsham SNT said: 'The road is narrow and it is an annoyance to residents when motorists use the street as a short cut.'
- 1 Town leaves Christmas lights on throughout January
- 2 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 3 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 4 Egg and Spud Man's delivery service booms in lockdown
- 5 Cliff fall warning issued for North Norfolk ahead of Storm Christoph
- 6 Gresham's School to erect 25 blue plaques for famous former pupils
- 7 Where the pines meet the sea on the north Norfolk coast
- 8 Road in north Norfolk village shut due to leaking water main
- 9 Councillor asks people to speak up after confronting lockdown rule breakers
- 10 Family butcher and livestock market operator dies aged 74