Drivers caught in Aylsham rat run
Richard BatsonDrivers ignoring a through-traffic ban in Aylsham have been fined and warned in a police clampdown.Residents of Hungate Street raised concerns about motorists breaking the access-only rules, and using the narrow road as a rat-run, which resulted in a swoop by officials.Richard Batson
Drivers ignoring a through-traffic ban in Aylsham have been fined and warned in a police clampdown.
Residents of Hungate Street raised concerns about motorists breaking the access-only rules, and using the narrow road as a rat-run, which resulted in a swoop by officials.
An 'education and enforcement' day saw 20 drivers warned for trying to use the road as a short-cut, and five given fixed penalty tickets.
A further four received warnings for breaking the 20mph limit on Blickling Road in the initiative done through the Aylsham Safer Neighbourhood Team, highways authority, and town council.
You may also want to watch:
Drivers were also given information explaining the road restriction and were warned that enforcement action would be taken if they were caught breaking the rule again.
PCSO Tracey Frost from the Aylsham SNT said: 'The road is narrow and it is an annoyance to residents when motorists use the street as a short cut.'
- 1 Two teenagers arrested following arson at a public toilet
- 2 Vintage train fires up for festive services
- 3 Covid marshals hit the streets in north Norfolk
- 4 Farms, former rail lines and old buildings set to be sold off by council
- 5 'Festive fun for all' - Thursford's Enchanted Journey Of Light wows on opening night
- 6 How dairy?! See town's ice-cream cone Christmas tree
- 7 Santa Claus is coming to town - but he won't be taking cash
- 8 Village's shops transform into giant advent calendar
- 9 Unique property overlooking Norfolk's Salthouse Marshes is for sale for £800,000
- 10 Busy petrol station on A140 closes due to 'unforeseen circumstances'