WATCH: Volvo caught out by the rising tide
- Credit: GARY PEARSON
A motorist had a dramatic escape after returning from a coastal walk with her dogs to find her car in knee-deep water.
The Volvo driver, who did not wish to be named, was out for a stroll at Burnham Overy Staithe on Monday, March 29, when she found her vehicle caught out by the tide.
She had left her car at the quayside next to the Norfolk Coast Path, a well-used parking spot when the tide is out.
She said: "I had just come back from my walk and found the car surrounded by water. I normally check tide times, but this time I didn't for some reason. I didn't realise the car park actually flooded there.
"I was terrified. I had a bit of a meltdown. I ran as fast as I could through the water which had come up to my knees. But the car was fine and the dogs were fine."
You may also want to watch:
She said the incident should serve as a warning to people to be careful and make sure they check tide times when parking at the coast.
Gary Pearson, a photographer, saw the escape from the coast path. His dramatic photos and video show the car driving along in front of the setting sun, with fishing boats busy in the background.
- 1 Couple put up for sale £1.1m barn they saved from demolition
- 2 Council claws back affordable homes after costly blunder
- 3 Fears raised over plans for new children's home in village
- 4 Beach ramp cordoned off after being eroded by bad weather
- 5 Gelato and chocolate shop to open two new Norfolk stores
- 6 13 of the best pub gardens to visit in Norfolk
- 7 'World’s highest qualified merchant seamen' dies aged 62
- 8 Rare chance to visit famous walled gardens for only second time ever
- 9 Kenneth Branagh films scenes as Boris Johnson in Norfolk for Sky drama
- 10 Food review: Rocky Bottoms serves a delicious helping of seafood beside the Norfolk coast
“I was amazed the car started and was able to drive away. I wonder if Volvo also make submarines,” he joked.