Dramatic photos capture woodpecker’s lucky escape from sparrowhawk’s claws
- Credit: Twitter, @Churchillcroc
A Norfolk photographer has captured a dramatic struggle between a woodpecker and a sparrowhawk.
The images, which show the sparrowhawk pinning a spotted woodpecker to the ground before the smaller bird escaped, were shared on Twitter by an amateur nature photographer in Thursford.
Grahame, who tweets under the name @Churchillcroc, shared two snaps of the birds locked in the life and death struggle on social media, on Thursday, April 25.
He said: 'Raw nature.
'This great spotted woodpecker was lucky.
You may also want to watch:
'She managed to escape the clutches of this male sparrowhawk in our garden.'
He added: 'He literally took her off the peanut feeder as I walked past the window.
- 1 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 2 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 3 Chef Galton Blackiston closes fish and chip shop during week
- 4 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 5 Hundreds of homes across Norfolk hit by power cut
- 6 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 7 Sport and TV stars heading to Norfolk for new festival
- 8 Analysis: Is lockdown finally working in Norfolk?
- 9 Body of missing 93-year-old man found in village
- 10 Council leader and both her critically-ill parents fighting Covid
'There was a female drinking this morning in the garden but as we have quite a few visit, not sure the same.
'Will keep an eye out as there was feather disturbance on her back.
'I guess seeing her fly was a good thing.'