Disability award for council
North Norfolk District Council has made five commitments to ensuring people with disabilities are treated fairly in its recruitment process and the workplace, earning accreditation from Jobcentre Plus.
The Positive About Disabled People award demonstrates to potential and existing employees that an organisation takes its obligations to all staff seriously, and that it will take proper account of people's disabilities.
The commitments are:
?to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a job vacancy and to consider them on their abilities
?to discuss with disabled employees, at least once a year, what both parties can do to make sure disabled employees can develop and use their abilities
?to make every effort, when employees become disabled, to make sure they stay in employment
?to take action to ensure that all employees develop the appropriate level of disability awareness needed to make these commitments work
- 1 First coastal road marathon in three decades hailed 'magnificent' success
- 2 North Norfolk hotel named among most romantic and best small stays in UK
- 3 Holkham pub closes to drinkers to become hotel and restaurant
- 4 Six beaches in Norfolk awarded Blue Flag status for 2022
- 5 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 6 Seven beach walks with a cafe pit stop to try in Norfolk
- 7 Couple about to leave north Norfolk fish and chip shop
- 8 Man swims for survival after speedboat sinks off Norfolk coast
- 9 Hundreds visit new art gallery in Cromer in its first week
- 10 Classic vehicle day coming to stunning gardens this weekend
?to review these commitments each year and assess achievements, plan ways to improve on them and let employees and Jobcentre Plus know about progress and future plans.
Around one in every 12 of the council's 350-plus members of staff has a disability.
Cabineet member Graham Jones said: 'We mustn't miss great candidates for roles here, because they have been put off by worries about whether their disability might count against them. So we're delighted that Jobcentre Plus has recognised our efforts, and with their help we will be able to consider any potential candidates.'