Demand for new Norfolk Lights Express soars
- Credit: Archant
Demand for seats on a heritage railway's first-ever Norfolk Lights Express has soared with 10 further trains being added.
On selected evenings, North Norfolk Railway's special services wind their way after dark through the forests and fields from Sheringham to Holt and back.
The initial 55 trains on the published programme are nearly full and the additional trains will provide further opportunities for those not able to get a seat.
The services will continue to operate through to January 5, 2020 offering a further 2000 seats for sale. That is in addition to the Santa Special trains the NNR runs each year.
The express offers a light show which illuminates the landscape as the train meanders along the route, and is set to music.
You may also want to watch:
Driven by steam locomotive 76084, the train is bedecked in a rainbow of coloured lights, which are connected by 2.5 miles of electrical cable, and each train has seating for over 200 visitors.
The service was launched on November 20 and well over 10,000 people have taken the opportunity to book and experience it.
- 1 Shock as public toilets torched FOUR times
- 2 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 3 WATCH: Demolition of landmark seaside hotel
- 4 Cafe reveals exciting revamp as town gets ready to reopen
- 5 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
- 6 Historic farmhouse in six acres with holiday barn for sale for £1.65m
- 7 Hare coursers snared by police officers using night vision goggles
- 8 Woman bit female police officer after neighbour dispute arrest
- 9 'It went a bit potty' - New cafe owner's tough first few months in lockdown
- 10 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
During the day the award-winning heritage railway transports customers back in time on steam and diesel trains through some of North Norfolk's most picturesque countryside, however as the light fades, the railway is transformed as The Norfolk Lights Express steams into town.
Hugh Harkett, managing director, witnessed the secret trial operation in June, and said: "It was unbelievable. While the external view is incredible, the lighting and scenes along the track will, I am sure, make this a real trip to remember for our visitors of all ages. The train's external lights provide amazing technicolour effects for passengers as the train passes through the cuttings along the route."
The experience starts with a rendition of Queen's Can't Stop Me Now, performed from the top of the footbridge over the tracks.
And as the train passes under the bridge at Weybourne station a flurry of artificial snow is set off by the GPS system.
The Norfolk Lights Express departs from Sheringham station, and each journey lasts one hour and 20 minutes.
Check www.nnrailway.co.uk for information.