Damning report for recently closed care home
PUBLISHED: 14:52 02 September 2019 | UPDATED: 14:52 02 September 2019
A care home for people living with dementia was given an inadequate overall rating in its last Care Quality Commission (CQC) report.
The privately-run Mead Lodge Residential Care in Crown Road, Buxton, closed on August 14, ahead of the report being published.
Among concerns raised at the inspection was that, on four occasions over a two-day period, people had to wait more than an hour for staff support.
The report continued: "People's medicines were not always managed and administered safely. For other medicines, record keeping was so poor it was unclear whether they had been administered as prescribed."
Inspectors found that the service, which was run by CareEast2 Ltd, did not have an adequate system in place to analyse accidents and incidents for trends.
It also reported that records demonstrated staff had not always received training in subjects relevant to their role.
You may also want to watch:
And care plans were not always personalised to include information about people's preferences and life history.
However, some residents said they felt safe at the home, and said staff were kind and caring towards them.
The previous rating for the home in February was good.
The home was placed in special measures, which means it would be kept under review. The inspection was carried out in response to concerns about the safety and welfare of people at the home.
Meanwhile, a family claims they are owed £1,800 after the home closed. Ivan Frith was a resident at the home and his family claim the owners are refusing to pay them.
Mr Frith has been rehomed at a care home in Cawston and his son-in-law Glenn Nearney, from Mundesley, said: "They were paid resident fees at the end of last month for the whole of the next month. Due to Mead Lodge closing in the middle of the month my father-in-law is owed over £1,800."
A spokesman for Mead Lodge, who did not wish to be named, said he would "sort it out" but added that he had been "abused and harassed" over the money. The spokesman said they did not wish to comment on the CQC report.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Norfolk News. Click the link in the orange box above for details.