Crumbling Bessingham Manor could be reborn
This is how a crumbling North Norfolk manor house could look – if a buyer comes forward with the best part of �2m to purchase and rebuild it.
Bessingham Manor, near Holt, is in a poor state of repair and recently hit the headlines when thieves stole an ornate stone fireplace as it awaited sale at auction.
Now the manor is now for sale again as part of a grand design project.
The property, once in the ownership of the Spurrell family and dating to the late 19th century, is for sale with planning permission for demolition for �895,000 with Cockertons.
Henry Cockerton from the firm said it would cost at least around a further �1m to rebuild the house.
You may also want to watch:
Developer Norwood Homes bought the manor in a private deal about nine months ago.
The company has just released the plans for the rebuilding, which aims to recycle the construction materials from the existing house.
- 1 Cliff fall warning issued for North Norfolk ahead of Storm Christoph
- 2 Town leaves Christmas lights on throughout January
- 3 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 4 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 5 Family butcher and livestock market operator dies aged 74
- 6 Where the pines meet the sea on the north Norfolk coast
- 7 Road in north Norfolk village shut due to leaking water main
- 8 Councillor asks people to speak up after confronting lockdown rule breakers
- 9 Football and fishing journalist and author Roy Webster dies aged 87
- 10 Gresham's School to erect 25 blue plaques for famous former pupils
The new manor would be set in around four-and-a-half acres of landscaped grounds maximising the views across parkland.
The modern day manor would have galleried landings and baronial fireplaces as well as a lantern window in the roof above.
Designs include a ground floor with five reception rooms, a study and service areas along with an enclosed courtyard and garaging.
Upstairs would be a master suite, two further suites, totalling seven bedrooms.
For more information contact Cockertons on 01263 711167.