Music, dancing and scooters on the pier, Cromer Vintage 1960s Festival set to attract crowds in their thousands
- Credit: MALCOLM BUBB
Cromer's Vintage 1960s Festival looks set to go with a swing today, with a fun-packed programme of events kicking off at 10.30am on the pier, the promenade and around the town.
Dozens of local businesses have decorated their shop windows with displays on sixties themes ranging from flower power, to hippie fashions, while the Friends group at North Lodge Park clifftop gardens are hosting a day of music and dancing featuring local band Tom, Dick and Harry, followed by a performance by vintage vocalists The Walker Brothers of Norfolk at 4pm.
Food and vintage stalls will be running all day on the promenade, with the pier also setting up a fish finger sandwich stand and open mic group Rock the Lobster hosting live music.
Other attractions will include a classic vehicle display on the promenade featuring hundreds of scooters, motorcycles and cars, a a sixties-style dance display by youngsters from local dance school Marlene's and a chance to snap a selfie with an original 1960s Dr Who Dalek or Cyberman.
Cromer Chamber of Trade and Business chairman Sam Grout, who will be serving up sixties treats including Black Forest gateau, chicken a la king and lemon meringue pie at his Hamilton Road eatery, the Old Rock Shop Bistro, said the festival had brought the town together.
You may also want to watch:
'We have been really pleased with the response from local businesses,' he added. 'It is very much the pier's event, but with relatively short notice, the whole town has seen the potential of the festival and really picked it up and run with it.'
Mr Grout, who is also running an evening 1960s dinner and quiz, said nearly 60 businesses had signed up to take part in a shop window competition, with many traders also planning to dress up in outfits from the era.
- 1 Your say - What is your favourite restaurant in north Norfolk?
- 2 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 3 Vets announces temporary closure due to staff shortages
- 4 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
- 5 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 6 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 7 Coastguard joins search for missing London man last seen in Norfolk
- 8 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 9 Appeal to find missing man from London last seen at Norfolk campsite
- 10 The sea has to be respected - so why don’t people learn?
'March is typically a low key time of year, but there has been a really good buzz around the town and it's great to have an event outside the main summer season,' he said.
The festival will come to a close at 4pm with a performance by platinum-selling X-Factor runner-up Andy Abraham, who will be bringing his Nat King Cole Songbook tour to the pier on April 5.
For more information, visit www.cromerpier.co.uk or phone the box office on 01263 512495.