Cromer superstore’s bid to extend opening hours
A Cromer superstore is seeking to open its door to early birds and late night shoppers by significantly extending its trading hours.
Morrisons on Holt Road wants to open, and sell alcohol, from 6am to 11pm on every day of the year - and to remove restrictions on the sale of alcohol on Good Friday and Christmas Day.
The store, which has made the application to North Norfolk District Council, is currently open from 8am to 8pm Monday to Saturday and from 10am to 4pm on Sundays.
Chris Cawley, from the council, said the issue was about whether the store would given permission to open for the extra hours, taking into account any potential disturbance to nearby residents.
He said that supermarkets used to have to cordon off their alcohol aisles after certain hours, even though they rest of the store was open. But a law change in 2003 meant they could sell alcohol during their entire opening hours.
You may also want to watch:
A Morrisons spokesman said: 'Morrisons can confirm that we have submitted an application to the local council for extended opening hours at our Cromer store. This is to suit the changing shopping habits of customers and to offer greater flexibility to shop earlier in the morning and at peak trading times such as Christmas.'
- 1 Market organiser vows big return after weather fears spark cancellation
- 2 Classic cars raise hundreds for charity at Mundesley Motor Show
- 3 Stunning sunset artwork being raffled for new cancer centre
- 4 Objectors gather to protest against 60ft 5G phone mast plans
- 5 Father and son rescued after being swept out to sea
- 6 Tell us: Why young people move away from Norfolk
- 7 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 8 Rescuers called as seaside visitors cut off by high tide
- 9 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 10 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected