We won! Cromer scientist in top University Challenge team
- Credit: BBC/ITV
Cromer-based author, journalist and palaeontologist Dr Henry Gee is celebrating, after winning the Christmas edition of University Challenge as a member of a team of former Leeds University students.
The final of the show, which was screened last week, saw Dr Gee and his team-mates beat a group of Wadham College, Oxford, alumni, scoring 235 points to their opponents' 130.
"As a team we were more interested in taking part and having fun," Dr Gee said. "We had no particular thought about winning, however, in the final game, we were really focused and 'in the zone'.
The highlight of the final was when team member Tim Allen got a starter question right almost by accident, after not answering anything correctly for the whole competition, Dr Gee said, adding that the entire thing "passed in a flash".
We are really pleased because Leeds is the first non-Oxbridge team to win any variant of University Challenge," he said.
You may also want to watch:
All episodes of the Christmas edition of University Challenge are available on BBC iPlayer until January 30.
- 1 Pioneering boat will make Norfolk coast more accessible
- 2 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 3 7 things every child in Norfolk should do before they are five
- 4 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 5 Vets announces temporary closure due to staff shortages
- 6 Dad uses son's ashes in a tattoo on his leg
- 7 Signalling fault causes delays on north Norfolk train lines
- 8 Your say - What is your favourite restaurant in north Norfolk?
- 9 Norfolk beaches named among UK's top 20 hidden gems
- 10 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'