We won! Cromer scientist in top University Challenge team
- Credit: BBC/ITV
Cromer-based author, journalist and palaeontologist Dr Henry Gee is celebrating, after winning the Christmas edition of University Challenge as a member of a team of former Leeds University students.
The final of the show, which was screened last week, saw Dr Gee and his team-mates beat a group of Wadham College, Oxford, alumni, scoring 235 points to their opponents' 130.
"As a team we were more interested in taking part and having fun," Dr Gee said. "We had no particular thought about winning, however, in the final game, we were really focused and 'in the zone'.
The highlight of the final was when team member Tim Allen got a starter question right almost by accident, after not answering anything correctly for the whole competition, Dr Gee said, adding that the entire thing "passed in a flash".
We are really pleased because Leeds is the first non-Oxbridge team to win any variant of University Challenge," he said.
You may also want to watch:
All episodes of the Christmas edition of University Challenge are available on BBC iPlayer until January 30.
- 1 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?
- 2 Village pub wins status as asset of community value
- 3 Fishermen accuse wind farm giant of bullying in compensation row
- 4 'It's disappointing' - Anger as crab pots used for beach bonfire
- 5 Teenagers brighten bus shelter with village mural
- 6 160-year-old pub to be demolished to make way for seven homes
- 7 Group overwhelmed by support as they aim to 'reclaim the lane'
- 8 Three farms hit by thefts of valuable tractor GPS systems
- 9 Warning over con artists trying 'council tax' scam in Norfolk
- 10 Cyclist fights for life after crash with car