We won! Cromer scientist in top University Challenge team
- Credit: BBC/ITV
Cromer-based author, journalist and palaeontologist Dr Henry Gee is celebrating, after winning the Christmas edition of University Challenge as a member of a team of former Leeds University students.
The final of the show, which was screened last week, saw Dr Gee and his team-mates beat a group of Wadham College, Oxford, alumni, scoring 235 points to their opponents' 130.
"As a team we were more interested in taking part and having fun," Dr Gee said. "We had no particular thought about winning, however, in the final game, we were really focused and 'in the zone'.
The highlight of the final was when team member Tim Allen got a starter question right almost by accident, after not answering anything correctly for the whole competition, Dr Gee said, adding that the entire thing "passed in a flash".
We are really pleased because Leeds is the first non-Oxbridge team to win any variant of University Challenge," he said.
You may also want to watch:
All episodes of the Christmas edition of University Challenge are available on BBC iPlayer until January 30.
- 1 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 2 Cafe owner 'overwhelmed' by support for contested outdoor terrace
- 3 Hotel in north Norfolk named one of the best in the UK
- 4 'A lovely talented man': Tributes to Cromer Pier Show headliner Phil Butler
- 5 Another north Norfolk care home put into Special Measures
- 6 Flood warnings along Norfolk coast, with Wells flood gate in place
- 7 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 8 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 9 54-home plan delayed due to 'nightmare' traffic concerns
- 10 Norfolk entertainer pays tribute to Cromer's 'shining star' of comedy