Cromer school children inspire green holiday programme
Youngsters in north Norfolk have helped inspire a new eco-friendly holiday programme.
The children are the inspiration for a new brochure of responsible and sustainable holidays from The Co-operative Travel.
Eleanor Ground from Mundesley Junior School, and Rory Porter Davies from Antingham and Soutrepps Primary School, both aged 10, were amongst 1,750 students across 50 schools UK-wide that were visited by the holiday retailer, which had produced an education programme that teachers could slot in to the curriculum
Each student produced a scrapbook in which they recorded their activities during the holidays, along with how they altered their behaviour in a bid to make their holiday 'greener'.
Rory and Eleanor are two of only seven youngsters whose scrapbooks inspired the new 'EcoKids' holiday programme. Both were rewarded with �30 of Waterstones vouchers for their submissions.
The youngsters' top tips have informed 10 eco-friendly holidays available through the new programme from The Co-operative Travel, with highlights from the winning scrapbooks showcased throughout the new brochure.
Jane Witherington, commercial and market development manager at The Co-operative Travel Trading Group, said: 'We wanted to really understand what young people wanted from a holiday, and found that green issues are really important to them.
- 1 'Rare' blue lobster found by Norfolk fisherman
- 2 Vandals target Banksy artwork in Cromer
- 3 Michael Bublé concert bans chairs and blankets from gig
- 4 Broads bridge in north Norfolk to close this year for roadworks
- 5 'One in a million' town haberdasher dies at 80
- 6 Norfolk woman wins national science teaching award
- 7 North Norfolk pub re-opens as a hotel
- 8 Popular 'cheese with no name' finally gets a name
- 9 Holiday let plan for farm's former train wagons
- 10 Sinkhole delays should be over 'today'
'By producing this selection of holidays we are giving them a chance to make themselves heard, as we look to protect the holiday destinations that we take for granted so our children and their children can enjoy them for years to come.'
A copy of the brochure can be downloaded from www.co-operativetravel.co.uk/ecokids