Cromer’s message in a bottle
A very special message in a bottle has been delivered to Cromer's lifeboat crew.
Members of the King's Lynn 54 Round Table have delivered an 'SOS' message in a giant bottle to Cromer lifeboat station as part of an epic relay challenge that aims to cover all 235 RNLI lifeboat stations across the UK and Republic of Ireland.
The message calls for the local community to support RNLI SOS Day, which took place on Friday, January 28 this year, and is the charity's biggest day of fundraising.
The RNLI SOS bottle is being passed from station to station by round table members covering some 7,000 miles in 114 days and they will be fundraising for the RNLI along the way.
Tammy Allgood, RNLI senior community fundraising manager, said: 'We are very grateful to the support of the Round Table and we were delighted that the Cromer crew were able to participate in this nationwide activity. The RNLI depends on donations so the Round Table's fundraising is vital in providing us with much-needed funds.'
The RNLI is the Round Table's presidential charity of the year and was chosen by John Kilshaw, the president of the National Association of Round Tables of Great Britain and Ireland.
The fundraising target for the year is �150,000 with all funds raised going towards RNLI volunteer crew training at stations across the UK and ROI.
- 1 People come 'from all over the country' to try this Norfolk seafood platter
- 2 New boss hopes to put his own stamp on Sheringham cafe
- 3 10-year-old town centre deli announces sudden closure
- 4 Broads homes plan branded 'absolute insanity' gets approval
- 5 Swap shop for women's clothing opens in Cromer
- 6 'Wild Church' events to start on north Norfolk coast
- 7 Meet the three Norfolk businesses featured in Antiques Road Trip
- 8 Warning after dogs left 'limp or lifeless' by mystery illness
- 9 Lily, 13, 'excited' as first novel hits book shops
- 10 Should it stay or should it go? Concerns for fate of town's hare sculpture
The relay started at the Round Table headquarters in Birmingham on January 14 and will end on May 6 in Blackpool.
To support the Round Table Relay Challenge in aid of RNLI SOS, donations can be made at: www.uk.virginmoneygiving.com/TheRNLIRelayChallenge.