Cromer reporter scoops national award
A North Norfolk News reporter has beaten hundreds of other trainees across the country to scoop a national award.Mary Hamilton, who works in Cromer, was today named Student Journalist of the Year by the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ).
A North Norfolk News reporter has beaten hundreds of other trainees across the country to scoop a national award.
Mary Hamilton, who works in Cromer, was today named Student Journalist of the Year by the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ).
The 25-year-old junior reporter achieved the highest results for any student sitting the NCTJ's preliminary exams during the academic year 2008/09, gaining straight As.
Ms Hamilton's combined scores for her media law, public affairs, shorthand and news writing tests, as well as a portfolio of stories, beat 783 other trainees sitting courses across the country including university degrees.
You may also want to watch:
The reporter, who graduated from the University of East Anglia in 2007, completed her training course with Press Association Training in Newcastle in Autumn 2008 and has worked in Cromer since January.
The award was announced this afternoon during a presentation at the Society of Editor's conference at Stansted.
- 1 Dancers' dilemma: Pier show cast priced out by Airbnb
- 2 Fond farewell for lifelong Cromer crab fisherman
- 3 'Truly sorry' - Former rival pays damages to Norfolk MP
- 4 'A nightmare' - Roadworks cause traffic chaos in North Walsham
- 5 Nature lovers' dream? Two wildlife paradises for sale
- 6 Daughter's tragic death from rare illness sparks dad's fundraiser
- 7 Two Norfolk towns to fight for share of £220m funding war chest
- 8 Demolition of seaside hotel begins
- 9 Delays remain but town traffic chaos eases with removal of lights
- 10 Slight increase in Norfolk coronavirus rates after restrictions eased
Ms Hamilton, who writes for the North Norfolk News as well as its sister papers the Evening News and EDP, hopes to take her senior reporter's exams in July 2010.