Cromer reporter scoops national award
A North Norfolk News reporter has beaten hundreds of other trainees across the country to scoop a national award.Mary Hamilton, who works in Cromer, was today named Student Journalist of the Year by the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ).
A North Norfolk News reporter has beaten hundreds of other trainees across the country to scoop a national award.
Mary Hamilton, who works in Cromer, was today named Student Journalist of the Year by the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ).
The 25-year-old junior reporter achieved the highest results for any student sitting the NCTJ's preliminary exams during the academic year 2008/09, gaining straight As.
Ms Hamilton's combined scores for her media law, public affairs, shorthand and news writing tests, as well as a portfolio of stories, beat 783 other trainees sitting courses across the country including university degrees.
You may also want to watch:
The reporter, who graduated from the University of East Anglia in 2007, completed her training course with Press Association Training in Newcastle in Autumn 2008 and has worked in Cromer since January.
The award was announced this afternoon during a presentation at the Society of Editor's conference at Stansted.
- 1 Wartime spirit fills north Norfolk as 1940s weekend returns
- 2 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 3 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 4 7 of the prettiest streets in Norfolk
- 5 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 6 WATCH: Pigs root out Second World War bomb
- 7 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 8 'Pass slow and wide' horse procession held in north Norfolk
- 9 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 10 In pictures: Marvellous costumes at previous 1940s festivals
Ms Hamilton, who writes for the North Norfolk News as well as its sister papers the Evening News and EDP, hopes to take her senior reporter's exams in July 2010.