Cromer Carnival’s Soapbox Derby takes a step up with sponsorship from international business
- Credit: Bruce Stratton
Major sponsors have been confirmed for this year's Cromer Carnival Soapbox Derby, meaning the event is set to be bigger and better than ever.
Global electronics company GTK along with Westcotec Traffic Safety Systems, and technology company Seneye, are sponsoring this year's derby and will also be competing with their own chariots.
The event, now it its fourth year is fast becoming an important part of the Cromer Carnival's summer of fun attracting entrants from far and wide.
Tony Shipp, Cromer Carnival's chairman, said, 'We are delighted to have received the support of such major companies and we look forward to welcoming them to Cromer and the Soapbox Derby. I am very excited about this years event and am looking forward to seeing the innovative and creative designs of the soapboxes.'
He continued, 'The hard work and effort that goes into building the soapboxes is just incredible, and of course there is always the risk that they will not survive our now infamous jump.'
You may also want to watch:
There will be prizes for the fastest time in each class with the fastest soapbox also winning the Malcolm McGreadie Shield, which the winner holds for the year.
There is also a Concourse de Elegance competition with winners in each class being judged on the design of their soapbox and the driver's costume.
- 1 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 2 'We love this street' - New deli opens in Cromer
- 3 'Know the waters are dangerous' - Rip tide warning following rescue from Norfolk beach
- 4 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 5 Charity horse ride around north Norfolk estate planned
- 6 Parents urged to talk to their children about vandalism at skate park
- 7 New rules for coastal care home in special measures
- 8 Rescued pony arrives at new home on celebrity's farm
- 9 Covid memorial to be created - but it will disappear after four hours
- 10 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
The Sporting Car Club of Norfolk will be providing the timing and scrutineering for the event and are planning to bring along a number of cars for a static display.
Julie Arrowsmith is the sales director at GTK, she said: 'We are all pleased to be sponsoring the Cromer Soapbox Derby I have heard a lot about the course jump and I'm looking forward to seeing the racing action.'
She continued: 'We wish this years event every success and all hope that the will continue to grow year on year.'
Entry forms for tge derby are available from The Cottage, Louden Road, Cromer or online at www.cromercarnival.co.uk Entries close on the July 28 but late entries could be accepted on the day if they arrive for the scrutineering at 11.30am.
Racing starts at 1pm with the 3 classes racing to become the fastest soapbox of the day. Classes are 10 – 15 years, 16 -18 years and Adult.