Cromer boxing brothers cleared

Three boxing brothers from Cromer have walked free from court after being cleared of attacking a man.Afterwards they spoke of a difficult seven months as the case hung over them, and said they were now determined to concentrate on getting back into the ring for their next big fights in London later this month.

Three boxing brothers from Cromer have walked free from court after being cleared of attacking a man.

Afterwards, they spoke of a difficult seven months as the case hung over them and said they were now determined to concentrate on getting back into the ring for their next big fights in London later this month.

Michael Walsh, 24, with his 22-year-old twin brothers Liam and Ryan, had been accused of attacking Dale Brammall, who is known as Graham.

All three brothers, who have a contract with promoter Frank


You may also want to watch:


Warren, had denied causing grievous bodily harm with intent to Mr Brammall in October. If they had

been convicted, they would have

Most Read

faced an 18-month boxing ban.

During the trial at Norwich Crown Court, Mr Brammall claimed he had been talking to the boxers' mother Michelle when her three sons attacked him like a "pack of wolves", and that they were armed with baseball bats, a hammer and a knife. It was also alleged before the jury that Michael Walsh had used pepper spray on Mr Brammall.

The court was told that Mr Brammall had gone to Walsh's home because he had heard rumours that Liam had been having a relationship with a girl who had been out with Mr Brammall's stepson. However, the brothers told the court they had not used any weapons and had been acting in self-defence; they were just trying to get Mr Brammall out of their family home.

Mrs Walsh told the jury that she was scared when Mr Brammall walked into her house uninvited and was aggressive and threatening.

She said her sons had gone to her aid and she had never been so frightened in her life.

The jury took two hours to find the three brothers not guilty on Monday.

Afterwards, Michael Walsh said justice had been done and they were now looking forward to getting back to their training.

Their next big date was on June 27 at the O2 Arena on the same bill as Amir Khan, who fights Ukrainian Andriy Kotelnik for the WBA world light-welterweight title. He said it had been a difficult time, but added: "We are looking forward to getting back in the gym straightaway. It has been a burden on our minds for the past seven months."

Their trainer, Graham Everett, who also trains Norwich boxer Jon Thaxton, said: "Justice has prevailed. They are all young boxers with a great future."

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus