Seafood trail sets Sheringham shoppers’ taste buds tingling
- Credit: Archant
A crab and lobster-themed seafood trail around Sheringham saw nearly 20 cafés, pubs and restaurants tempt shoppers' taste buds with speciality dishes created in their kitchens from fresh, local ingredients.
Diners were asked to rate meals for taste, presentation and originality to be in with a chance of winning a main course for two, with the eateries gaining the most votes presented with certificates by Sheringham Carnival Association.
Overall winner was Station Road café The Kitchen, whose chef, Andy Clitheroe, cooked up a crab and prawn tart with a breadcrumb, parsley and parmesan topping with sweet chilli sauce.
The prize for taste went to seafront tea rooms the Whelk Coppers for chef Jessica Frere-Smith's potted crab flavoured with spring onion, chilli and cayenne pepper, with the award for originality going to Vijay Bhattarai of The Bank, in Church Street, and the presentation category won by Jackie Overton of High Street seafood bar Joyful West's.
Carnival spokesman Chris Neville said: 'It was incredibly close and the final decisions highlighted both the high standards and the creativity of Sheringham's chefs.'
You may also want to watch:
Sheringham mayor Madeleine Ashcroft, who handed out framed certificates to the winners, said: 'I was really pleased to see such innovative dishes and I think it is wonderful that we have so many talented people cooking such fantastic food for our residents and visitors.'
- 1 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Election 2021: Lib Dem leader quits in North
- 3 'Dystopian castle' in seaside village may escape demolition
- 4 Nearly £50,000 donated to restore Grade II listed church organ
- 5 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 6 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 7 New veterinary practice to set open in former Cromer GP surgery
- 8 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 9 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: Conservatives hold on in Broadland
- 10 Mobile Post Office to come to two north Norfolk villages