Hopes for public inquiry into Norfolk wind turbines dashed - but council will challenge the decision
- Credit: Archant
Hopes of campaigners for a new public inquiry into controversial plans for two wind turbines in north Norfolk have been dashed by a new High Court ruling.
However, North Norfolk District Council (NNDC) looks set to challenge the decision.
In March last year, after a six day public inquiry a planning inspector gave consent for the turbines, which would be about a mile apart at Bodham and Selbrigg.
This was despite fierce opposition from NNDC and the No To That Turbine (NOTTT) pressure group.
The inspector's decision came after a successful challenge to the council's refusal to give permission for the turbines.
You may also want to watch:
However, when the council and NOTTT mounted a new legal challenge to the inspector's decision, the Secretary of State for Housing Communities and Local Government conceded the matter, quashed the inspector's grant of planning consent and a new public inquiry was ordered.
A new inspector, however, decided it could be dealt with by written representations.
- 1 Sunday market cancelled over weather warning
- 2 Goats on a slope return to seaside town for summer grazing
- 3 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 4 £2m bid for 62 new independent living apartments for over 55s
- 5 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
- 6 New summer car parks to open on coast
- 7 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 8 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
- 9 Testing plea for visitors as holiday season heats up
- 10 Council's holiday let sell off after failing to make enough money
The council and opponents of the turbines then argued that there should a full inquiry, but a top judge has now sided with the inspector and refused to order it.
In dismissing a challenge at London's High Court to the inspector's decision, Mr Justice Ouseley said it was 'a wholly reasonable judgment' that no further oral submissions were required, and said the council's challenge should be dismissed.
Sue Arnold, NNDC's cabinet member for planning and planning policy, said: 'The decision is most disappointing and we believe sets a dangerous precedent for public inquiries which have taken place and where the previous planning inspector's decisions have been quashed.
'I am certain this council will wish to challenge this latest decision, giving the people of north Norfolk the chance to have their voices heard in public.
'In my opinion these turbines are in the wrong place and this view is supported by virtually 100pc of the members of this council.'
Amelia Courtauld, secretary of the NOTTT group, said: 'We are very disappointed. We support the council's position. We feel that the local people and those that are going to be affected should be heard.'