Concert raises funds for heroes charity
Ed FossThe former head of the British Army, Sir Richard Dannatt, returned to an old stomping ground to help efforts in Sheringham to raise money for the Help for Heroes charity.Ed Foss
The former head of the British Army, Sir Richard Dannatt, returned to an old stomping ground to help efforts in Sheringham to raise money for the Help for Heroes charity.
Sir Richard was special guest at St Peter's Church on Friday evening as the Sheringham Shantymen gave a free performance to a packed out audience.
The gig raised �2,300 with a bucket collection at the end.
The group's musical director Brian Farrow said the evening was hugely successful and Sir Richard caught up with several people he knew from when he owned a house in the town, as well as meeting many new faces including local uniformed soldiers.
You may also want to watch:
'He knew a fair few people already so it was something of homecoming for him,' said Mr Farrow.
'And he was also wonderful with everyone there, making absolutely sure he spoke to every person who was in uniform.'
- 1 Wartime spirit fills north Norfolk as 1940s weekend returns
- 2 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 3 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 4 WATCH: Pigs root out Second World War bomb
- 5 7 of the prettiest streets in Norfolk
- 6 'Pass slow and wide' horse procession held in north Norfolk
- 7 Town's skatepark finally reopens
- 8 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 9 Man released on bail after reports of fight in village
- 10 'Proud to be a Cromer fisherman' - Tributes paid to Norfolk stalwart
The concert was introduced by Rev Christian Heycocks who served with the Royal Marines Commandos in both Iraq and Afghanistan and is now vicar of St Peter's.