Concert raises funds for heroes charity
Ed FossThe former head of the British Army, Sir Richard Dannatt, returned to an old stomping ground to help efforts in Sheringham to raise money for the Help for Heroes charity.Ed Foss
The former head of the British Army, Sir Richard Dannatt, returned to an old stomping ground to help efforts in Sheringham to raise money for the Help for Heroes charity.
Sir Richard was special guest at St Peter's Church on Friday evening as the Sheringham Shantymen gave a free performance to a packed out audience.
The gig raised �2,300 with a bucket collection at the end.
The group's musical director Brian Farrow said the evening was hugely successful and Sir Richard caught up with several people he knew from when he owned a house in the town, as well as meeting many new faces including local uniformed soldiers.
You may also want to watch:
'He knew a fair few people already so it was something of homecoming for him,' said Mr Farrow.
'And he was also wonderful with everyone there, making absolutely sure he spoke to every person who was in uniform.'
- 1 Nature lovers' dream? Two wildlife paradises for sale
- 2 Demolition of seaside hotel begins
- 3 'A nightmare' - Roadworks cause traffic chaos in North Walsham
- 4 Dancers' dilemma: Pier show cast priced out by Airbnb
- 5 See inside the boutique hotel with spa centre reserved for guests
- 6 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 7 Fond farewell for lifelong Cromer crab fisherman
- 8 Revealed: The fastest place to sell a home in Norfolk
- 9 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?
- 10 Cromer florist 'delighted' as new business flourishes
The concert was introduced by Rev Christian Heycocks who served with the Royal Marines Commandos in both Iraq and Afghanistan and is now vicar of St Peter's.