Council chairman leads short service ahead of flag raising for Commonwealth Day in Cromer
- Credit: Archant
The chairman of North Norfolk District Council (NNDC) Richard Shepherd led a short service followed by the raising of the flag to celebrate Commonwealth Day.
It took place by the flagpole at the council's Holt Road, Cromer offices.
Mr Shepherd said: 'I am proud for NNDC to join so many Commonwealth communities around the world raising our flags on March 12. Together we mark our membership of this important organisation of nations and our commitment to its shared goals.'
The event helps to celebrate the values the Commonwealth upholds, and the opportunities offered for friendship and co-operation with fellow Commonwealth citizens around the world.
Commonwealth Day was observed in countries in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean and Americas, the Pacific and Europe. Faith and civic gatherings, debates, school assemblies, flag raising ceremonies, street parties and fashion shows were just some of the events that helped to celebrate the Commonwealth.
- 1 Your say: Should we close carparks at north Norfolk beauty spots?
- 2 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 3 Panoramic views for every customer after award-winning restaurant's refurb
- 4 The £500,000 plan to redo two town loos
- 5 New book reveals how Albert Einstein's stay in Norfolk may have saved his life
- 6 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 7 Hardware store owners to bid farewell after seven decades in business
- 8 Nominees for the North Norfolk Awards 2021 revealed
- 9 Seaside village set to sparkle by turning into giant advent calendar
- 10 House of Gucci - the Norfolk connection